01 Ex - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2007, 12:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 Ex

hey all, i am currently looking at purchasing a 2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3PSD with about 95k mi on it. last Ford i owned was a 1958 f-100 and it sure as heck wasn't no diesel, lol...that being said, i'm a little out of date on fords and have virtually no knowledge of PSDs. is there anything i should be on the lookout for or wary of? thanks in advance!

RD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Generally, if you drive it, give it a good inspection, and it checks out -- you've probably got a keeper ... but

here is more info that you probably want on the subject Don't let all this info scare you away, but instead just absorb it and it may help you find some little thing that you wouldn't have noticed before. The 7.3 is one of the most solid PSD's and with only 95K, it has LOTs of life left.

hope this link helps

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 11-17-2007, 03:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where 'ya from and where 'ya goin?

How you like your truck will probably relate to what you're used to driving and what you want to get out of the new truck. The 2000 PSD 2WD that I got with 97K miles has given me a year of great performance with no costs besides the $7 I spent on the fuel filter valve O-rings.

The Navigator it replaced had the 5.4L and was a nice truck, but the PSD get 50% better gas mileage. We use the truck to pull boats and haul R&M equipment between apartments, so the extra torque and the large interior are both plus items for me.

I opted for 2WD and cloth seats because of the lower repair bills and because the sun doesn't heat up cloth like it does the leather.

Here's a solid "thumbs up" for the PSD 7.3.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:10 AM

hey blue, thanks for the link, some good info there! yeah bama, i think the only thing i would miss getting into an Ex is banging through the gears myself. hopefully fuel economy would be close to what i get now in my CTD. other'n that, i suppose i might have to get a trailer for my quad, but NBD. thanks for the insight!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2001 EX

We have a 2001 Excursion 4X4 diesel 7.3 with 122,000 miles. Fuel consumption ranges from 17/18 on the road at 80 mph to 14/15 around town.

Wife drives it and loves it, had it since new - only issue mightbe brakes which are not very good. Rotors tend to warp so have them checked. Tons of room and has been fairly reliable (new tranny at 70,000 under wty )

I think you will like it.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM

well i got to take her for a test drive today and i think i'm in love!!! i was a bit apprehensive at first, and by that i mean i was definitely intimidated by her size, but was very pleased to find she was quite manageable. i actually felt more comfortable in traffic than in my pickup! could just have been a false sense of security in knowing that i was the largest thing out there though...

anyhow, she seemed a bit underpowered but i chalk that up to the fact that i'm used to driving my CTD around with the Edge on level 2. undoubtedly a heavy vehicle though, but was also impressed with it's stopping ability. thank god for the tow mirrors, blindspots would surely be a problem otherwise. nifty trick on those vent buttons in the overhead console, took a while to figure out what they actually did. as for cabin room, it's like having your own personal limo. i think i might even be able to fit my yfz450 in there! all in all, an absolutely wonderful rig, and i think it's exactly what i'm looking for. now it's just a matter of getting the stealer down to the right price...and getting financing.

again, thanks for all your input and hopefully i will soon be on here as a PSD owner!!! pray for me guys and dolls...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 AM

Bought my wife hers 11.15.03 with 104K miles. The previous owner of the X put the 100K mile full warranty on it and an Oasis report showed that only a $5 head light knob was replaced. Got it for $20.4K out the door with new tires and in pretty decent condition. Current mileage around 182K miles. 1 year left and it's paid for!

My wife used to love the 99 F250 but after driving it for a couple weeks while the DRW was getting brakes and all syn fluid she was really happy to get the X back. Used it for work in those two weeks and it worked very nicely. The biggest load was 25,020 lbs. While empty it averaged 15-18 mpg.

If you want some more hp/tq out of an X you can put a ton of different chips or programmers in there.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM

wow, good stuff dougger...unfortunately things didn't pan out so it looks like i'm X-less. guess we'll have to try again in a few months. thanks for all the responses everyone!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 07:38 AM

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you. :-( Hopefully you will have better luck next time.
We looked a long time for my EX. In the end my husband flew from Missouri to New Jersey to buy my EX for me and drive it home. Luckily it was a good one! They do handle really well. Driving it is actually nicer than it was on my Z71 tahoe. Before we put a chip in and everything it got 17/18 in the city and 20 highway. After I put big wheels and tires on, that dropped to 11/12 in the city (seems like a big jump doesn't it?) After putting in the performance chip it gets 14/15 city and 18 hwy. Parking is an issue if your used to parking were ever you want, but I find it's not a problem unless it's christmas time and all the idiots are out. The inside is like a limo. My husband often naps on the third row seat during road trips. We got the second row captains, and I am SO glad we did. It enables us and our children to move about easily.
Good luck finding the right one for you! They're awesome!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Keep lookin' I'm sure you'll find another. We bought our 2000 with 100K miles. Run's like a champ. We previously had a Suburban 454 Vortex.....the Ex will out tow it hands down. The Ex definately has a more solid built feeling & the brakes are much better.
But for raw torque....the PSD kicks *** on my old 454.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.