what gears should i run - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile what gears should i run

i was woundering what gears should i run in my x it has 3:73 now & i have 35" tires & 6" lift .i want it to spin like it did with stock gears i was told 5:13 or 5:33 i dont know witch it is .i just want to get back what little gas milage i had !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Either of those gears will let you spin the tires... in OD while you hit your max speed of 45MPH. Ok, I didn't actually do the math but those gears would be right for a 40"+ tire. 35" with 4.10 is about as close as you can get to 3.73 with 31" tires. However, that is a vary minor step in gear sizes. 4.30 is the next step from 4.10 but you would be around 22-2300 RPM at 70MPH. Going to 4.10 or 4.30 will help if your towing and will help your in town MPG slightly. If your not towing heavy, I would put the money towards performance mods, changing gears in two axles (if your 4x4) is rather expensive.

Also if you want to get better gas mileage, consider swapping that gas motor for a diesel.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I have a either 5.10 or 5.33 in my axles(as im told by the 4x4 shop) but i can still drop my clutch and spin my big arse 44" boggers so id imagine youd be able to with 4:10s thats just my 2 cents so dont quote me
Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein1224 View Post
I have a either 5.10 or 5.33 in my axles(as im told by the 4x4 shop) but i can still drop my clutch and spin my big arse 44" boggers so id imagine youd be able to with 4:10s thats just my 2 cents so dont quote me
nice truck
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Either of those gears will let you spin the tires... in OD while you hit your max speed of 45MPH. Ok, I didn't actually do the math but those gears would be right for a 40"+ tire. 35" with 4.10 is about as close as you can get to 3.73 with 31" tires. However, that is a vary minor step in gear sizes. 4.30 is the next step from 4.10 but you would be around 22-2300 RPM at 70MPH. Going to 4.10 or 4.30 will help if your towing and will help your in town MPG slightly. If your not towing heavy, I would put the money towards performance mods, changing gears in two axles (if your 4x4) is rather expensive.

Also if you want to get better gas mileage, consider swapping that gas motor for a diesel.
i have a tuner in the computer the max energy the only thing i set in it was for it to shift harder, its a V10 i dont know how i should set it to get better gas mileage. & on xtreme 4x4 they put 5:13's in the chey 1 ton with 35" tires & they go on highway & tow with it to so i dont know.& as for put a diesel in it i plan on it when the V10 dies im going to put a 24V cummins in it with the 6.0L tranny

Last edited by justbuckit-excursion; 01-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The V10 is your biggest issue. 5.13 would tow great but you would be running really high RPM on the highway. They would also be a good choice for crawling at low speeds. If you have any good junkyards, you could look for a 4.10 rear axle and swap it out. If you like the gears, swap the front too, just don't use 4x4 till both match. The advantage of doing the axle swap is you could sell your old axle and recoup most of the cost.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
The V10 is your biggest issue. 5.13 would tow great but you would be running really high RPM on the highway. They would also be a good choice for crawling at low speeds. If you have any good junkyards, you could look for a 4.10 rear axle and swap it out. If you like the gears, swap the front too, just don't use 4x4 till both match. The advantage of doing the axle swap is you could sell your old axle and recoup most of the cost.
do you think 4:56's are to big or tall with the 35's just woundering before i go out and do it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.