2001 7.3 Excursion Will Crank But Won't Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2001 7.3 Excursion Will Crank But Won't Start

Hi, I have an '01 7.3 Excursion and am having troubles with it starting. I live in Steamboat Springs and it has been extremely cold (below 0) for the past few weeks. For the past month or so my X would start fine in very cold weather, even when it wasn't plugged in. Now, all of a sudden it won't start. I had my batteries checked and they were both no good, so I replaced those. It cranks really well, but doesn't start and really doesn't even seem to try. I plugged in the block heater and it doesn't seem to be working. I know that about a week ago, the block heater was working, because I had it plugged in and the engine was warm to the touch. I know it is getting fuel because I started it with ether and it kept running fine. I shut the truck off and started it again while still hot, no problem.

Does anybody have suggestions on what to check to find out what's keeping it from starting? Any fuses or simple fixes that could both cause the X to not start or keep the block heater from working?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fuses are possible - but not likely.
But Cam Position Sensor (CPS), and then the of HPOP IPR sensor are usually a couple culprits.
CPS would be the easiest and cheapest to start with, and is also pretty common.
People have been recommending to always carry an extra just it being that common of a problem point at times.

As for plugged in - you can get either an AMP-Clamp or even a plug in meter to see if you're block heater is working correctly and drawing power.
Only reason it wouldn't is usually due to a bad cord - which can be replaced pretty easily and is a $25 part at NAPA.

Side note - drop at line in the CSP section.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/cen...-powerstrokes/

Last edited by AzPatMan; 01-21-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Check the oil level in the hpop reservoir. it should be close to the top, fill it up if not.
Try unplugging the ICP sensor (if it starts, replace the sensor).
IPR orings go bad and that usually presents itself by not starting and/or rough running when hot.
CPS is by far the most common failure (next to the the glow plug relay). Always keep one with you.
If you know of anyone that has AutoEnginuity, they can pinpoint the issue in a couple of minutes.
Any smoke coming out of the tailpipe while cranking?
Can you hear the injectors clicking, while cranking?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my 01 250 is doing the same thing, cranking like hell but no start. Im beatin my head against the wall. Replaced the IPR and the Cps tonite to no avail. I did get it started but runs rough as i dont know what. Really lopey, I shut it down I was affraid of running a dry cylinder.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM

first thing to do is stop using ether! you say it stays running after using ether, so the cam position sensor is good. icp could be the issue, but have you checked your glow plug operation? I second the scanner suggestion. find a good one (AE with ford bundle or better) and get it hooked up. you should be able to pinpoint the problem rather quickly then.

DOE
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just had mine in the shop for the same reason. Mechanic found a tear on an O-ring on the IPR. It was sucking air into the system and not allowing the injectors to pop. It was also allowing dirt into the oil. Took him 5 hours of diagnostics to find. First time I've had to pay 628.00 for and O-ring.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just picked my 00 excursion up from the dealer with same problem. It was the PATS not communicating with the PCM due to dirty battery terminals.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM

yall ready for this?! As I've posted, I replaced the CPS, the IPR, and replaced the alternator. I thought my prob was gone.....sike. Yesterday morning I went out to start the truck and guess what? CRANK CRANK CRANK no start. Pissed off I twisted the key back to off and then back to the start position really fast. By fast I mean the starter had no effin idea what just happened. But anyway the damn thing started right away. So I freak out, let it run for a few minutes and turn it off. About 20 min later I do the same thing. It cranked but no start until I jerked the key off and back to cranking. WTF?????????? Glow plug relay? Ignition switch?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So did it start after the quick cycle of Cranking - quick off/on and crank - fired up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
block heater, cold starting, excursion, glow plug control module, glow plugs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.