Excursion lift advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion lift advice

The wife and I have been talking about lifting her Excursion since we got it a little over a year ago. Looks like it will be happening after the first of the year, we should be getting a nice income tax return, and it's going to lift and tires for the Ex.

I'd like to get a 4-5" lift, and clear 315/75/16's on the stock wheels. My guess, based on experiance with my red truck, is that the tires will hit the back edge of the front bumper first, then the inner fender at the back of the front wheel opening, if they hit at all. (I am currently running 35's on aftermarket 16.5x10" wheels on the red truck, with only adding a leaf to the stock front springs to level it out.)

So in the past few days I've been searching on the web, and made a few phone calls... there is a Pro-Comp 4" kit that includes shocks, but according to the details listed, it will only clear 33's, not the 35's/315's I want to run. Would I be correct in thinking that it will likely clear the 35's, as long as I'm willing to trim the front bumper?

What lifts have you used, and how pleased are you with them? Sagging issues? Fitment issues? Parts not included? Other things that made the install or use more difficult? Any feedback you have... is welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You NEED to talk to Cary at CT Performance. There isn't ANYONE out there as far as I'm concerned that knows more about our Excursion's then he does. Most places just take a suspension kit tuned for the pickups and slap it on the Excursion's. Email is ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Last edited by Term3; 12-20-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the advice... I was planning to do that anyway, and did so earlier today, just after I read your post. Cary does seem to know what he's talking about, and is interested in makeing sure your truck handles as good as possible, which I respect.

However... I'm still interested in any other feed back from thoes with first hand experiance with lifted Excursions. How does it ride? How did the handling change? Anything else?
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I like what you're saying, dieselcrawler. I too, would like to know about a 4" lift for my Ex. I know it's somewhat general knowledge that Cary knows a lot about lifting and Ex and making it handle. I already have a Hellwig bar on the way for the rear, have a pair of V codes in the floor in the garage, and am well on my way to collecting all of the same type/similar parts to do a CT Performance style lift.

SURELY though there is a less expensive alternative for shocks than the Bilsteins. Especially since I have read more than once that they have a tendency to leak. I mean why can't a guy buy a set of Monroes, or Gabriels, or ProComps or whatever for less money and accomplish the same thing? I would doubt that the average guy like myself would be able to tell the difference between a $400 (or close to it) set of Bilsteins VS a set of over the counter, auto parts store HD shocks. I'm definitely no expert. Just a family man on a budget that wants to lift his Ex.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM

I will say that Cary DOES know his stuff... as a self-employed small business owner for the past 11 years, his thought process is much the same as mine, in wanting to make sure he provides the best advice and best quality end-product possible. He e-mailed me about 2 pages worth of a discription of how to best lift the Excursion, what parts to use, and how to do it, what to modify, etc. Very informative. He wants to make sure that not only does the Excursion get lifted properly, the ride quality remains the same or better, and the handling improves, not gets worse. And after talking to him, I'm sure he's right in what he says, he knows his stuff.

Myself, I'm like you, Rahn; talking to Cary was very useful, but I don't know if I can afford to go all-out... and will likely have to make some compromises in one or more areas. I'm going to look into the rear sway bar issue, will likely make do with some cheaper shocks and maybe lift springs, but I do understand that the valving can make a diffrence in ride quality, as can the choice in springs.

One thing I do recall from talking to Cary was his recomendation to get larger diamiter wheels, to make sure that the tires are not intoducing any addional 'squrreliness' into the mix, the stock wheels are narrow, and with taller sidewalls on a narrow wheel, the tires will squirm in turns, driving can become like trying to heard a dozen cats down the road... all over the place!
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I gotcha. I understand that he wants and DOES provide a quality product/service, and I am in NO WAY trying to say anything derogatory about Cary. I'm just trying to do this on the cheap, is all. As much as I'd like to call him, and with a swipe of my card, it would all be over with, I can't. I have always used forums such as these, though, to search out ways to save money and achieve desirable results.

I scored the front springs TOTALLY by accident from a neighbor, I've found a smokin' deal on a set of 20x10's, and the hunt goes on. I think my next things to seek out will be a track bar bracket, and then a pair of C codes. Shocks will most likely be my last purchase. Keep us informed on what direction you go, or any other cost saving tips you come up with.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:39 PM

My 02 ex has a pro comp 4" lift. I am running 35x12.50x20 bmf wheels. I actually rubbed the bumper and the spring at first. Took an air saw to the air dam and notched it and fixed that til my wife t boned a jetta. Then the bumper rubbed again til my new bumper. I also have a f350 rear sway bar. The only thing left is a dual steering stabilizer but i have been putting money elsewhere in the truck so thats waiting. Originally had done the 6" first but needed a driveshaft and went to the 4". Just my take anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.