Excursion newbie sayin Hi - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion newbie sayin Hi

I just bought my Ex a couple weeks ago. Its primary use will be a trip rig (needed something I can stretch out in the back of). She's stock other than a ratty P.O. fabbed CAI, and a droning exhaust. I'll be looking for a chip, gauges, quiet exhaust, and to just bring it back up to snuff. Just wanted to say hi and thanks ahead of time for the answers I hope to find here. I'm not a newbie to diesels but this is only my second computerized one.

If some of you are so inclined how about some opinions on

Quiet exhaust other than OEM
best 6 pos. chip....why
wicked wheel result on a mostly stock cruiser
does the chip firm up the shifts, can they control lock-up in 3 and 4, shift points
how well does the stock exhaust valve function as an exhaust brake?

Yeah I know its a bit much for an intro post

Last edited by twiisted71; 11-04-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
I just bought my Ex a couple weeks ago. Its primary use will be a trip rig (needed something I can stretch out in the back of). She's stock other than a ratty P.O. fabbed CAI, and a droning exhaust. I'll be looking for a chip, gauges, quiet exhaust, and to just bring it back up to snuff. Just wanted to say howdy and thanks ahead of time for the answers I hope to find here. I'm not a newbie to diesels but this is only my second computerized one.

If some of you are so inclined how about some opinions on

Quiet exhaust other than OEM
best 6 pos. chip....whywicked wheel result on a mostly stock cruiser
does the chip firm up the shifts, can they control lock-up in 3 and 4, shift points
how well does the stock exhaust valve function as an exhaust brake?
Yeah I know its a bit much for an intro post
Welcome!!!

In answer to the red quotes, I have DP Tuners in both my trucks, (Ex has an Edge Evolution, which will someday get replaced with a DP) which have Deceleration tunes which use the EBPV as an exhaust brake. I've had the one in the yellow truck the longest, and with it being an auto trans truck, the braking effect is less than the red truck, which is a stick. The only down side so far seems that the up pipe gaskets are going out on the yellow truck, but that's after 4 years of use, and they tend to go out anyway on these trucks.
The other tunes are: position 1- stock, 2- 1200 RPM hi idle, 3- 40 HP (yellow) or 60 HP (red) towing, 4- Decel, 5- 80 HP economy, and on the red truck, position 6is a 120 HP race tune. The advantage of the DP Tuner over others is that you can get up to 16 tunes, you're not limited to just 6.

Not sure what you mean by the intake you discribe, but you can't go wrong with the 6637 airfilter/DIY intake setup discribed in places here on this site. And check out the general 7.3 fourum, most of the tech there is relivent to the Excursion as well, they are the same as the superduty trucks from the front doors forward, the only diffrences arise in the body/lenth issues, and the rear springs/shocks.

I too got started on non-computer controled diesels, the one in my sig is still kickin', the ol' chevy 6.2L mud truck... but before that was the '74 Massy Furgusson 135 farm tractor, with a 3 cyl Perkins!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I ran an early Edge in my '01 Ram 2500. It only offered 3 stages and I don't think it did anything for the trans. I'm looking for something that does it all this go-'round.
I still have a Perkins (200 HP), in my off-road camper!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Welcome! Post up some pics of your new ride!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's Babe, the Blue Ox.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 AM

Looks good, welcome!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks good!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM

I have the TS 6 position chip in my truck and I love it. Gives you stock, high idle, 40hp, 75hp, 100hp and 140hp tunes. It makes the truck shift much cleaner and will throw you back in your seat for sure on the higher tunes. Also puts out a good bit of smoke if your into that. Before my lift I was averaging 16.2 mpg in my truck being stock, after I installed the chip I ran on the 40hp tune and my mpg jumped to 18.2. Now I am back down to a 16.8 average with my lift and I bumped the tube up to 75hp. Got mine from XDP and will recommend them to anyone, great costumer service.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the 1st hand account of the chip, Ramkiller Have you played with the 2 upper tunes much? How's day to day driving with them? Smoky, harsh shifts,????
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM

I have tried daily driving with them and I'm not much of a fan, it causes the shift into overdrive to be very hard and practically shake the whole truck. The top two are deffinitly designed as no nonsense racing tunes. I took my buddies '01 mustang gt to 45mph by two lengths before he got me. Not much smoke really until you get on it. With a stock truck I found the 40hp tune to work the best with fuel economy and gives you a noticeable improvement in power aswell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.