02 Ex drives all over the road???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 Ex drives all over the road????

I am new to Super Dutys and recently bought a 02 Excursion 4x4 with a 7.3. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints and had it aligned. It's like I'm always chasing it driving down the road....guys tell me that that's just how SD's drive but I'm not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check the track bar to be sure it is tight. I've seen then loosen at the frame end. Also make sure the tires are not under inflated.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. Will do. Do the steering boxes wear out??
Old 10-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008LMM View Post
Thanks. Will do. Do the steering boxes wear out??
If your steering gear is the problem then yes, you can in fact "adjust" the steering gear preload in your favor. You do so by tightening the small bolt on top of the gear box. Loosen the hold down nut and turn the adjustment bolt clockwise no more than a 1/4 turn. Tightening it any further usually causes the gear to wear much faster and can be dangerous if it is too tight.

You should know that the SD's do not drive as poorly as the Ex does from the factory. The Ex is known for poor handling and most of us have shed the stock springs for aftermarket springs or SD spring packs and a couple other enhancements like a big fat rear sway bar and dual shocks up front. Believe it or not the Ex never came with a rear sway bar.

I don't buy too many parts from the recyclers, but the one thing I have noticed everywhere is that if an Ex is in the junkyard it has usually been rolled over and totaled. I have never seen a straight up wrecked Ex, they most always have been rolled.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalDiesel View Post
If your steering gear is the problem then yes, you can in fact "adjust" the steering gear preload in your favor. You do so by tightening the small bolt on top of the gear box. Loosen the hold down nut and turn the adjustment bolt clockwise no more than a 1/4 turn. Tightening it any further usually causes the gear to wear much faster and can be dangerous if it is too tight.

You should know that the SD's do not drive as poorly as the Ex does from the factory. The Ex is known for poor handling and most of us have shed the stock springs for aftermarket springs or SD spring packs and a couple other enhancements like a big fat rear sway bar and dual shocks up front. Believe it or not the Ex never came with a rear sway bar.

I don't buy too many parts from the recyclers, but the one thing I have noticed everywhere is that if an Ex is in the junkyard it has usually been rolled over and totaled. I have never seen a straight up wrecked Ex, they most always have been rolled.
My '05 Ex came with a 28 mm rear sway bar when I ordered the heavy duty trailer option. If you want someone that has a LOT of experience making the Excursion ride and handle a LOT better contact Cary.

email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: Home Introduction only, they want personal contact to insure you get what you need

Last edited by Term3; 10-13-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:27 PM

just change the steering box. I chased mine for a month. bit the bullet , changed the box for 750.00 at the dealer and it is tight and rides perfectly
Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did this start after ball joint replacement? Cheap ball joints cause this too, been there done that.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 PM

no the ball joints was what I fixed as the possible cause. Tried Shocks, basically everything else to avoid the cost of the steering box replacement.

my point was that the steering box is it.. and if you read most of these threads on steering, it is usually the end result of adjusting / replacing the steering box.

SO I am suggesting that you look at that first and just fix the problem (based on the time I spent researching and the final result of my wandering X
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 AM

steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackermann View Post
just change the steering box. I chased mine for a month. bit the bullet , changed the box for 750.00 at the dealer and it is tight and rides perfectly
i agree, change the box. fixed my wander problem too. no more crooked steering wheel and constant adjustment while driving.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Hopefully this isn't too late for you and you haven't wasted a ton of money...but here is how to check it to see what is going on...

get a friend and you lay under the vehicle. start up and with the tires on pavement..(resistance) have him slowly start to turn the wheel one way or the other.
Here you can see everything that is going on.
First look at the steering box while he moves the wheel. It should be moving with the wheel with no dead spots whatsoever. If this is working proper then....

look at all the tie rod ends ..everything. If a tie rod end is bad (you have four of them) it will be sloppy ....as in the steering box is taking up slack before the joint starts to pull or push the steering rod. The tie rod should respond instantly to the pitman arm moving. (pitman arm is the device attached to the steering box ) and all tie rods should respond instantly. This will have a negative impact on how your vehicle tracks more than any ball joint and track bar. Those things contribute to a problem and of course the bushings can contribute to the problem...but the root of sawing at the steering wheel will be in your steering components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.