X Codes/C Codes Installed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
X Codes/C Codes Installed

I finally got my new springs installed this week. I put X and C codes on her. The look and feel of the truck is remarkable. This is a pic before the install.

This is the after pic.

As you can see from the pics below, I had a serious problem with the springs and bump stops.

Here are a few pics of the install, not like you haven't seen ones like this before.

And here she is after she is all put back together with the 'stuff' back in there.

I took measurements to begin with and immediately after the swap. It looks as if the rear is lower than the front, but the tape showed it was level. Must be an illusion. Here are the measurements before and after. I started with measuring the distance from the bottom of the wheel to fender well.
LF before 31" after 33.5"
RF before 31 1/8" after 34"
LR before 31 1/2" after 33 3/8"
RR before 32 1/2" after 33 7/8"
Front air dam(center) 14" before and after 16.5"
LF bumpstop pad to bottom of frame went from 4" to 5 3/4" and
FR bumpstop pad to bottom of frame went from 3 3/4" to 5 5/8".
Receiver at safety loops 14" before and 15 1/4" after.
Once I can find a more level spot, I will take more measurements to be more accurate. But in the meantime. WOW what a difference in driving! No more jarring at all! Rides very smooth and corners very well. I expect the from end to settle a bit under the weight of the 7.3L, so I am not disappointed that the rear looks a little low. On the shop floor, immediately after putting it on the ground, all fender wells were the same height off the ground. Sitting im my driveway, like I said it looked a little nose high. In a couple of weeks, I will take more measurements and get back with you. Many thanks to Jeeplj8 for doing this mod and convincing me that this was the way I wanted to go. I cannot believe the way the truck rides and drives now. My wife doesn't like the fact that she has to step higher now, but oh well! However, she does like the way it rides. And now for those famous words.....I should've done this a long time ago!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow first off awesome job in remembering to measure and record it all. Second two questions. Are these stock springs off of another truck or actually made for the ex? (sorry a Lil behind here). And how much did the front set cost you? If I were to do it I would only do the front because my rear already sits up, higher then yours even with the springs it looks like from the pics.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageekwithajeep View Post
Wow first off awesome job in remembering to measure and record it all. Second two questions. Are these stock springs off of another truck or actually made for the ex? (sorry a Lil behind here). And how much did the front set cost you? If I were to do it I would only do the front because my rear already sits up, higher then yours even with the springs it looks like from the pics.
I bought new springs from Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts | SD Truck Springs . The X code springs came standard on the F450 and F550 trucks, but also came on F250-350 with the snow plow prep package. The front set cost me $220 just for the springs as I bought them in May when they had a sale on(item number 43-818). Not much difference in price now. Shipping is the expensive thing. For front and rears, it cost me $150. Some Ford dealers give great deals on springs and you don't have to pay that high of shipping costs. The front u-bolts and nuts are the standard Excursion bolts and nuts. Nothing special there. My rear springs were worn too. But mostly I wanted new all the way around (rear cost was $253 Item number 43-1263). I chose rear springs from a 2003 F350 DRW 4WD called C codes. The ride is incredible! With the Hellwig rear sway bar in place and new springs, she corners very flat and handles superbly! Hope this helps!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Helps a ton thank you so much
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Where exactly did you measure from? Ground to fender well? A pic so I'm for sure I'm measuring from the right spot would be awesome
Old 09-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I measured straight up in the center line of the wheel from the bottom of the wheel to lip of fender well. Not to the ground, so it takes the tire pressure out of the equation. Did this on all 4 corners. On the front, I also measured the bump stop rest to the frame to get a true indication of actual lift.

Hope this helps. Will try to take pic tomorrow of where I measured from if I confused you even more
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
I measured straight up in the center line of the wheel from the bottom of the wheel to lip of fender well. Not to the ground, so it takes the tire pressure out of the equation. Did this on all 4 corners. On the front, I also measured the bump stop rest to the frame to get a true indication of actual lift.

Hope this helps. Will try to take pic tomorrow of where I measured from if I confused you even more
ha nope ive got it now.
but im dont understand. i measured mine and the RR is 33.5, RF is 31.5.... now why do my factory springs sit higher then yours did? i'm wondering (because i always wonder) is my tow package a little bit different then yours because i have the larger mirrors? so maybe my springs are a bit stiffer?
Anyway it looks like i can get away with just doing the front. Awesome !!! thank you so much for your help
Old 09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For some reason, I ordered mine with the paddle mirrors instead of the tow mirrors. I ordered this truck from Ford new in '01. I had used them on ambulances since they debuted in '99 and did not like them. The tow packages are the same. Look on your driver's door at the sticker there. It has the spring codes on there. Most Xs with a 7.3 had DG as the codes. Keep in mind, I carry about 500-600 pounds of stuff in the back too. It was initially measured with an almost empty tank of fuel also. I would love to do the '08 mirror mod, but just not going to spend that much money right now. Back to the springs, each truck will be at a different height due to how the truck has been used. I used mine for towing boats and car trailers for years as well as carrying the weight I listed before. My back springs had not contacted the bump stop in some time, however they were very worn. They caused what is known as 'bump steer'. When hitting a large dip in the road, when they compressed and rebounded, it would actually change the direction of the truck as if you had turned the wheel. All Xs have very soft spring rates.
Vehicle:
Excursion 5.4L .......... Spring Code .......... B .......... Spring Capacity .......... 4100lb
Excursion 6.8L .......... Spring Code .......... C .......... Spring Capacity .......... 4300lb
Excursion PSD .......... Spring Code .......... D ........... Spring Capacity .......... 4700lb

F250/350 .................... S .......... 4000lb
.................................. T .......... 4400lb
.................................. U .......... 4800lb
Camper Package .......... V .......... 5200lb
only on F450? ............. W ......... 5600lb
Snow Plow package ...... X .......... 6000lb

See the difference in the front springs?
Can't find the rear spring chart right now, but the back has G codes on it. Very soft, 'wallowing' springs. If you just do the front, you will still have the rear steer effect and softer rear springs than the front. I couldn't believe how much better my truck performs. So much so, my friend drove mine yesterday and ordered V/Bs yesterday afternoon. Yes, it makes that much difference. The other site, FTE has hundreds of threads about this as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
To Many Projects

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I found it thanks for your help. so its' the four leaf in the rear? Thanks JJ
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes. These are the springs the day after I got them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.