new rims - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new rims

so i am looking to get new rims, i want the ion alloy style 174 but i don't know what amount of backspacing or offset is needed. i have 315/75/16s on my truck now. i just want the tires to stick out like maybe 2 more inches or so than what they are currently on the stock rims. if anybody could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. i am getting underway in the coast guard soon so i don't have to much time to research this on my own time. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 02:30 PM

So I have managed to find these rims in 16/10s with -38mm of offset, is this to much for my setup, I don't want the rims to stick out ubsurdly or rub for that matter. Any input would be much appreciated
Old 09-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMKILLER97 View Post
So I have managed to find these rims in 16/10s with -38mm of offset, is this to much for my setup, I don't want the rims to stick out ubsurdly or rub for that matter. Any input would be much appreciated
-24 offset would be about right.

Good luck in the Coast Guard.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A 315/75/16 = 34.6x12.4/16 right? With a -24 offset would be extremely close to a 4.5 offset for a 10" wide rim. I'm under the impression that would poke out of the fender a good amount. Is this true?

From what I have read a -12 offset works. I've gathered that on a 35x12 tire fits with very little rubber poking out of the fenders, on a 9" wide rim and 4.5" backspace. Placing a 35x12 tire in the an almost exact same location as a 10" wide rim with a 5.0" backspace. Correct?

I'm new to excursions platform, but not new to how wheel sizing works by any means, and only ask as I have been looking for wheels that fit to my liking, being that less than a 1 inch of poke outside the fender well. Am I correct in thinking that a -12 offset will give me this affect with out any rubbing on the leaf spring when turning lock to lock?
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr4tune View Post
A 315/75/16 = 34.6x12.4/16 right? With a -24 offset would be extremely close to a 4.5 offset for a 10" wide rim. I'm under the impression that would poke out of the fender a good amount. Is this true?

From what I have read a -12 offset works. I've gathered that on a 35x12 tire fits with very little rubber poking out of the fenders, on a 9" wide rim and 4.5" backspace. Placing a 35x12 tire in the an almost exact same location as a 10" wide rim with a 5.0" backspace. Correct?

I'm new to excursions platform, but not new to how wheel sizing works by any means, and only ask as I have been looking for wheels that fit to my liking, being that less than a 1 inch of poke outside the fender well. Am I correct in thinking that a -12 offset will give me this affect with out any rubbing on the leaf spring when turning lock to lock?
Thanks in advance.
You're correct on the 4.5" offset and yes they do stick out more than an inch. I have 0 offset Ultra Titan 8's 20 x 10's with Toyo 35x20x12.5's and one side barely rubs lock to lock on the inside edge of the leaf. But they are just proud of the wheel wells when standing and I like that. The leaf spring rubbing is not an issue as it rarely happens, but what is better is not getting the rocker panels sandblasted in the winter up here in the PNW.

I think you would be fine with what you want to do.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM

Not sure what your locations are, but from what I've read, in most states, including my home of West Virginia, tires that stick out of the wheel well are illegal, and are often justifiable cause to get you pulled over...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:55 PM

thanks for the input, from what i have gathered is if i can find a 16/10 inch rim with 5.0 backspacing would work well with my setup of a 16/9 with 4.5 of backspace would be pretty much the same.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM

oh and my truck is registered in jersey so i am allowed to have 2 inches of wheel sticking out of the fender.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMKILLER97 View Post
oh and my truck is registered in jersey so i am allowed to have 2 inches of wheel sticking out of the fender.
Which covers you while IN jersey... travel to other states, like West Virginia, and you are subject to WV laws... 2" could get you a conversation with one of our fine state troopers, reguardless of where you come from... However, that's a judgement call on your part, how you want your truck, and if that's the look and what's legel in your area, go for it... just helping spread awareness...

By the way, I have an uncle near Princeton... and bought my dually from a used dealer near Philly a few years (2007) back.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM

So I have narrowed it down to two options, now I need some opinions.

Here is the first, Moto Metal Part W/P9516987312 - MO951, 16x9 with 8 on 170 Bolt Pattern - Black

And here is the second, Pro Comp Alloy Wheels Part 1069-6170 - Series 1069 - Polished Alloy Wheel

Which would you choose if you had a truck that looked like mine. Also some time in the futere I may rhino line the gold on my truck in black, but that wouldn't be for a while.

And lastly I am originally from the jersey shore... No it's nothing like the show where I am from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.