My Power stroke is geared to low. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My Power stroke is geared to low.

Hellow everyone,I own a 99 dually power stoke, when Im towing and not In over drive my truck is geared to low.At 65 my rpms are around 2900 and it sounds like its rapped out< and I"m sure If It was geared higher my feul milegewould be better.What would be the best way to gear my truck higher so I would be at 75 mph at 2900 rpms.I have plenty of power and I donT want to tow In overdrive,Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to powerstrokekiller
I dunno

I have a cummins with 3.55's and at 75 its around 2k towing or empty. You could go with some 3.73's like the factory offered. You probably have 4.10's. If you wanna keep the 4.10's for acceleration you could get a gear vendor's overdrive. Those things are practically bulletproof. You could find there site and see if they have anything for you. But you said you don't want to tow in o/d. So I'd say swap out the ring and pinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:48 PM

they dont want you to tow in overdrive because of the tranny the weakest gear in any tranny is o\d the 7.3 has plenty of power it is ok to tow in overdrive wen running a costent speed
Old 10-25-2005, 04:50 PM

sorry that was ment for randy
Old 11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya,I don"t think It would be to good on my tranny towing my 14,ooolb trailer all the time.You here about guys burning there trannys at low miles and thats why.I"ll look into the splitter you mentioned. 1 more gear in tow range would be great and help gas milege.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via MSN to turbotime Send a message via Skype™ to turbotime
99 F350 Dually

Hey,

I'm in the same boat you are. I have hauled over 17K lbs down the freeway for many miles and will not put it into OD either. Makes for a long trip eh?! But, you are right about not putting it into that last gear, it just eats it up. I had to have my tranny rebuilt (bought the truck used) because it was used to tow in OD and the 4th gear was the only thing that was ate up. Our buddy that fixed the tranny (head tranny mechanica at ford...gotta love the connections) said that is what does it. So we had him put a shift kit and large tranny coolant system in it. No problems since but, like I said, I have not hauled in OD either. The other NO NO is to back your trailer. He said to avoid having to back your heavy trailer if at all possible.

No ideas on the extra gears though, to bad they aren't 5 speeds!

Nice to see someone who cares for the longevity of the truck more than the speed for once

~Turbotime
Old 11-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Injectors

I was wondering if after market injectors last longer than stock and how much hp they can add.are they easy to change.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds like you are deeper then 4.10's

My 97' PSD 5 speed has 4:10's and it runs right at 23-2400 rpm in OD at 70mph

maybe you have 4:56's ??
Old 06-13-2006, 06:41 AM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Those RPM's sound right for having O/D kicked off with 4.10's. Check your rear diff for the code, it should say either 3 75 or 4 10 maybe even have an "L" near that for "limited slip."

Honestly there is nothing wrong with towing in O/D as long as your truck isn't searching for gears. IF you get it into the meat of the powerband right around 2100 rpms and your on nearly level ground you can tow in O/D. IF you go to pull a big hill I'd hit that O/D button and downshift and slow down. If only one gear was messed up, that was probably because the previous owner did not know what I just said, put it on cruise, and let the tranny do the work, not the motor and the tranny shifted back and forth so much it destroyed that gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.