New to Ford, Excursion, & PSD - Need Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By E-Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Ford, Excursion, & PSD - Need Advice

Hello:

I just purchased a 2001 Ford Excursion 4X4 with the 7.3 PSD. The vehicle only has 65,000 miles and is in great condition. This is my first Ford and so far I am pleased with this vehicle. The truck is basically stock with the exception of aftermaket wheels, Michellin tires, sound system, and front & rear Rancho air shocks.

I am looking to improve the power and fuel economy of the engine without seriously jeapordizing reliability. From lurking the past few weeks, it seems I may need the following to accomplish my objectives:

Air intake
Exhaust
Tuner, programmer, or chip
Gauges
Any other mods (trans cooler, EBPS, etc.)???

I am looking to purchase ASAP. Please give me advice as to what brands and models are good and where to purchase. I also do not know the difference between a tuner, programmer, or chip; please advise. What maintenace is required for these trucks and when? Any particular brand and spec of fluids and filters recommended? Any major recalls and/or TSB's I should look out for?

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Nice find. My father just picked up a 2001 Excursion with only 36k miles on the 7.3 and he loves it. I'd say your list is spot on for what you want out of the truck. The only items I would add to your list are a 6.0/Torqshift transmission cooler (much larger than the 4R100 trans cooler), and a coolant by-pass filtration system (like from dieselsite). You might also consider a Mag Hy-Tec or equivalent rear diff cover.

I am also a firm believer in changing EVERY fluid when you purchase a used vehicle...simply because you don't know how well the previous owner maintained it. Engine oil, trans fluid, front and rear diffs, t-case, power steering (which takes ATF fluid), and brake fluid...I would change it all. At only 65k miles you're not even at the service interval for some of those fluids...but, some of those fluids are 11 years old and I would change it anyways. If you choose to go synthetic, I myself run Schaeffer's All Trans fluid in my transmission and t-case, and I run Amsoil in everything else. If you want to go all-the-way, I'd also recommend a coolant flush and switch to an ELC (I run Delo ELC).

For recommendations on vendors, Ill list what I have on my truck (which I am very happy with):
Intake - S&B
Exhaust - MBRP straight-pipe and 4"
Tuner - someone else will have to help on this...I don't run one
Gauges - Isspro EV2
sports2259 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Welcome on the EX.. I'm in the same boat as you man... I just got an 03 EX with 113,000 on it. I asked for help and got the Cream De Creme... LOL go to CTperformanceinc. You can google it... The guys name is Cary, and he can help you big time... I had some idea's and he saved me a MAJOR MIGRAINE with the information he supplied me. He didn't try to get into my pocket either.... I'm working with him on my EX and we together are going to have it set up RIGHT the first time...

Good luck and hope he can work with you too.

Les
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM

congrats on the find... you're on the right track with the mods you want to make... just might want to change the order in which you do them.

DIY intake/6637 filter -- cheap, easy, great filter, great air flow, best bang for your buck

Straight pipe the stock exhaust, remove the cat if you can in your state without causing inspection issues. No NEED for larger exhaust untill you're pushing 400+ HP, the stock muffler is the bottle neck.

Gauges (EGT, Boost, Trans Temp) at any point before any tuner... I like DP Tuner, others will tell you about TS chips, with tunes on them by Wildman, Beans, Swamps, PHP, etc. Pick one you like, talk to the people burning the tunes, etc. I've had good luck with DP, and will get one for our Excursion when funds (and the wife) allow. It currently has an Edge Evolution, I hate it, it make the trans shift funny.

Things like trans cooler upgrades are also a good idea, the stock cooler is tiny...

Good luck, enjoy your new ride... they are really nice trucks, we have had ours about a year now, and it's a great family hauler, with 5 kids, we make use of it to it's full extent.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, give Cary a call for expert Excursion help along with custom HID conversions (not eBay junk).

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thanks for the recommendation guys!

We have everything needed to mod your truck correctly the first time.
PM me if I can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.