new to powerstroke! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question new to powerstroke!

Hey guys! I've been lurking around on here a little while searching and reading and trying to figure out the right setup. This is my first Ford and first diesel! Now my question is...... is it ok to run an edge programmer or something like the bully dog? Or is it bad for the motor and such? Also, would the included "gauges" with the programmers be good enough to use? Its an '02 with the 7.3, bout 149k on it. 4inch lift with 35's. I use it as a daily work runner, family hauler, and plan on towing the jeeps to some events finally! I'm not looking for an insane increase in power (hell, stock makes me happy) but definitely want real gauges to monitor whats going on. So if they work well enough to read whats going on, and if the increase in power is good, are they worth the cost? Or am I going about it all wrong?? Sorry for all the questions that probably every noob asks but I havent a clue and feel stupid! I've always been into building Jeeps, gas Jeeps! But this seemed like the most knowledgeable group out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2012, 03:25 PM

i have been reading the the 6 postion chip is about the best. i had and edge evolution programmer in my 99 superduty and it was the best out of all of them but i had the 6 speed manual. i hear the edge is a bit rough on the autos. i tried them all, banks, superchip, quadzilla, bd, edge, ts. edge worked great but kinda affraid of the auto. i always ran the hottest setting and my temps would stay decent most of the time.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just wondering if the "gauges" on the tuners are accurate enough too or should I stick with real analogs? Also, will straight piping the exhaust help or hurt?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quick list:

DIY intake/6637 air filter... best bang for your buck, cheap, quick, easy to install, GREAT filtering, GREAT CFM air flow

Straight pipe the exhaust, no need for larger than stock untill you're pushing over 400 HP, other than sound/exhaust tone reasons. Personally, I think it's fine, with the welder in the garage, and a few feet of 3.5" exhaust pipe, it takes me about an hour to 2 hours to let it breath.

Gauges at any point, I use Auto Meter brand, EGT, boost, and trans temp, and prefer the mechanical trans temp with the thermocoulple probe in the trans pan, not the electronic one. A little more diffucult to install, but more accurate gauge in my opinion.

With these supporting mods, you're ready for a good tuner. I like DP Tuner, have one on both my trucks, and plan to replace the Edge Evolution on the Excurion with a DP when I can. Others like TS chips/6 pos switches with tunes by Wildman, Beans, PHP, and others. Do your research, talk to the people burning the chip for you, get what makes you comfortable. I've had great interactions with Jody at DP Tuner. And you can get up to 16 tunes on his chips, not limited to 6.

Don't be shy, check out the 7.3 general area, lots more traffic there, and the Excursion is the same as the trucks aside from the long body, so there's lots of pertinent info there for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.