Major 7.3 Problems. Advice? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major 7.3 Problems. Advice?

About a month ago I bought a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the 7.3l. Went and test drove it, it drove fine, but over the last week or so, it has been hesitating when Im under steady acceleration. The rpm goes down a hair then back up then down a hair then back up vey quickly.The vehicle also feels like it jolts foward every few seconds when I have my foot on the gas. I figured it wouldnt be that big of a deal since it was a low mile truck (only 85k miles), and just thought it might be a dirty or bad injector or something.

I dropped it off at the local Ford Dealership my Uncle works at, and they called today saying that the turbo impeller is breaking apart and might be shooting shards of metal into the engine. Best case, they said I need a new turbo, and worst case, I need a whole new engine.

This seriously blows, as its a 12 year old truck, bought from a mom and pop place as-is, so Im not sure what to do. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Especially on a low mile truck? It figures that I buy the 7.3 because everyone says it is bulletproof, then it takes a crap on me a month after purchase.

Best case, what sort of turbo should I shoot for? Anything that will give good power/reliability in a daily driver without costing an assload of cash? Worst case, what should I do for the engine? Refurbished one? Crate engine? Im not sure what would be the best bet that wouldnt be that ridiculous in price, but still be a good engine to last for a long time in a daily driver setting.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What kind of intake is on it?


Read through the sticky's in the 7.3 sections and you'll get most of your answers. If you do need a new engine, it's better you understand what you're about to get into.

A new engine will not be cheap. Look for a member named airfish. He can help in that aspect.

If you just need another turbo, members sell em here all the time when they change things up. Another stocker might suit you just fine.



7.3's are tanks.........if properly taken care of and properly modded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The intake is a stock type of cone, but without the airbox around it. Looks to be somewhere sort of in between OEM and aftermarket. The only other mod it has is a 4" MBRP exhaust.

I figured the truck was well cared for, as all aesthetic mods were done right, and the truck was very clean inside and out. Thought it would be logic that if the previous owner took care of it on the outside and spent all this money on a big lift/shaved tail lights/wheels/tires/exhaust/kept the inside super clean, they would have cared for the engine the same way.

Im guessing that a new engine would be around $5-6k plus labor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If that intake is what I'm picturing it to be, then that's where the problems starts and it most likely ruined your engine. Id immediately change it out for a Tymar (6637). you can make a DIY 6637 intake system for around $50.


You're in the right price range for a new engine. Though airfish could find you something cheaper. It all depends on how decked out of an engine you really want. Basically if you have any future power goals for it. The sticky's will explain it better than I am.

Where are you located?

Last edited by Skew12; 07-11-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 455
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you do have to replace the engine then go ahead and put all the right parts on the first time. Bolts/studs/springs/injectors/turbo/etc....sped a few hours on here lookin at builds and do what you want to do with it once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alva, FL (Ft. Myers)
Posts: 84
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
About a month ago I bought a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 with the 7.3l. Went and test drove it, it drove fine, but over the last week or so, it has been hesitating when Im under steady acceleration. The rpm goes down a hair then back up then down a hair then back up vey quickly.The vehicle also feels like it jolts foward every few seconds when I have my foot on the gas. I figured it wouldnt be that big of a deal since it was a low mile truck (only 85k miles), and just thought it might be a dirty or bad injector or something.

I dropped it off at the local Ford Dealership my Uncle works at, and they called today saying that the turbo impeller is breaking apart and might be shooting shards of metal into the engine. Best case, they said I need a new turbo, and worst case, I need a whole new engine.

This seriously blows, as its a 12 year old truck, bought from a mom and pop place as-is, so Im not sure what to do. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Especially on a low mile truck? It figures that I buy the 7.3 because everyone says it is bulletproof, then it takes a crap on me a month after purchase.

Best case, what sort of turbo should I shoot for? Anything that will give good power/reliability in a daily driver without costing an assload of cash? Worst case, what should I do for the engine? Refurbished one? Crate engine? Im not sure what would be the best bet that wouldnt be that ridiculous in price, but still be a good engine to last for a long time in a daily driver setting.


Honestly, I would take the vehicle elsewhere to have it looked at. To me, that troubleshooting conclusion sounds dubious, at best. Whats breaking apart? The compressor wheel? I'd be amazed if it shot metal thru the intercooler and piping all the way to the intake plenums. The turbine wheel? The engine exhaust pressure would blow all that out the exhaust, not back into itself. Do yourself a favor and have it looked at elswhere. If the turbo is coming apart, a replacement isn't all that bad. Hell, with the symptoms you described, you could just have the CPS going bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 192
Thanks: 8
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caloosahatchee View Post
Honestly, I would take the vehicle elsewhere to have it looked at. To me, that troubleshooting conclusion sounds dubious, at best. Whats breaking apart? The compressor wheel? I'd be amazed if it shot metal thru the intercooler and piping all the way to the intake plenums. The turbine wheel? The engine exhaust pressure would blow all that out the exhaust, not back into itself. Do yourself a favor and have it looked at elswhere. If the turbo is coming apart, a replacement isn't all that bad. Hell, with the symptoms you described, you could just have the CPS going bad.
^^ agreed i thought it sounded like a cps from the symptoms the OP gave. Never heard of a turbo "breaking apart into the engine" if it did the results would be a little more catastrophic I would imagine, sounds like the dealership is trying to bend ya over I'd get a second opinion. Maybe find a shop more focused on strictly diesel repair

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alva, FL (Ft. Myers)
Posts: 84
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseinside1892 View Post
^^ agreed i thought it sounded like a cps from the symptoms the OP gave. Never heard of a turbo "breaking apart into the engine" if it did the results would be a little more catastrophic I would imagine, sounds like the dealership is trying to bend ya over I'd get a second opinion. Maybe find a shop more focused on strictly diesel repair

Sent from my DROID BIONIC while wasting time at work...
Amen brother. I wouldn't put it past a stealership to try something like that. Go in with a $50 problem, come out with a $5k bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's sort of what I figured, so I have an appointment at a place today to take it somewhere else after I pick it up from the dealership.

I'll have to do that intake mod anyway, just to be safe. Let's hope this place comes up with a different, better diagnostic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alva, FL (Ft. Myers)
Posts: 84
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by galacticmonkey View Post
That's sort of what I figured, so I have an appointment at a place today to take it somewhere else after I pick it up from the dealership.

I'll have to do that intake mod anyway, just to be safe. Let's hope this place comes up with a different, better diagnostic.
No offense to the previous poster who mentioned the engine getting ruined, but it doesn't seem like what type of intake it is has even been identified? Does it say K&N, AEM, anything? The 6637 mod looks just like a big cone filter with no airbox. Maybe try and post a pic. Seems most of the issues I have read of with dusted turbos/motors involved the K&N drop in replacement which utilized the stock airbox. I don't think the cone filters they make are a ton better, but at least try to i.d. it before jumping to conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors