Looking at excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at excursion

Im looking to buy 2002 x.The truck has a 4" lift kit and 31.5" tires(iirc) I want to put back to stock height.what parts do I need to bring it back to stock height?will f250 suspension parts work?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You don't want to go back to stock as the stock suspension didn't work well. As you mentioned you will want to update it to and F250/F350 suspension front and rear.

Research the v/b code update for the Excursion and you will have a ton of reading.

Tim M
Old 07-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where are you located? I have a stock Ex, and would love to trade you, stock for lifted parts...

TimsPSD X: What's so bad about the stock stuff? I was under the impression it's basicly the same stuff that goes on the F250's?
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The X was built on a similar chasis as the F250 with the exception of the springs. They are softer than the F250/f350 so that
1. it could fit better in the garage.
2. it has a smoother ride for the "soccer" mom crowd it was maketed to. (I hope I didn't offend)

So what most people experience with the stock suspension is axle warp in the rear and wandering in the front. The towing experience is what some call white knuckled.
When people upgrade to the v/b suspension from an F250/F350 they are so suprised by the results it feels like a new truck to them.

The v and b represent the spring rates of the front and rear leaf springs.

My story is different in that I had a lifted X and removed that lift (sold) and put in the v code springs in the front and what is called a b-moded code spring in the rear.

It drives very nice and similar to an F250.

Tim

Last edited by TimsPSD_X; 07-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 AM

I will agree, the stock springs, which are what's on ours, ride very smoothly...
Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The reason i want to lower it is because i will be towing a 26' enclosed race car trailer.The trailer weighs about 8500#.Im not sure how it will tow with the lift kit on it.My best option would be an F350 drw but its not practical because i would have to take an extra car to the races for the crew.Also the drw would sit for months at a time whereas the excursion i can use regular basis to haul kids around.Right now im towing with a suburban which doesnt do bad here on the flat roads of NY/NJ but im not sure how well it will do on the hills in PA when i go race out there.So V/B springs is what i should be looking for?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes you should at the very least do the v/b code to get it back to a close to stock setup.

As you mentioned you want it for towing your trailer, I would go one step further and either do the moded B-codes or add the RAS to the rear of the truck. In order to mod the b-codes you will need to pick up a stock set of g-code springs to make the new pack.

Instead you may want to invest a little bit more and get the RAS (RoadMaster Active Suspension). With the RAS you don't need to mod the b-code springs.

Tim M
Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Theres a leaf spring place near me.If i remember right they do light trucks also im going to find out if they can set me up with b code springs or something similar.I will probably still get the ras either way.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 AM

If you're gonna tow, you don't want the stock springs like ours has... any load at all, and it starts sagging. If I were going to tow more, I'd get some air bags, for the extra support, and still have the smooth ride when unloaded. however, I also don't know anything about the RAS that's talked about above, it may be a better option.

What are you gonna do with the lift you remove? I'd be intrested if you want to sell it... I have an uncle in NJ who might be able to pick it up to save shipping issues, let me know if we can work something out. My wife wants to lift her Excursion...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you want expert Excursion suspension help give Cary a call.

email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: Home - Introduction only, they want personal contact to insure you get what you need
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.