Advice On Buying An Excursion Before Someone Beats Me To It - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice On Buying An Excursion Before Someone Beats Me To It

I've got cash in hand and I'm in the market for an Excursion and I'm hoping to get some advice on actually buying one.

I've narrowed down exactly what I want to a stock early 2000(for forged rods) 7.3L, Black XLT or Limited, with leather of any color, and under 140k miles, for under $17k, within 750 miles of my location. The price is in line for what is available within that distance, so one would think this wouldn't be too tough... Wrong.

Let's forget about the limited number of vehicles for sale that match my criteria. Let's forget about the inflated price tag for a vehicle over 10 years old and with so many miles. Let's forget about having to drive 4-8 hours to get to what I want. By the time I have all my ducks in a row to go look at a vehicle, someone out of state already has a deposit down site unseen. I have to laugh at the 7.3L buying guides that talk about getting an oil analysis done.

How do you compete with that? Am I going to have to resort to a similar tactic of committing to buying a vehicle I know nothing about? Should I just face the fact that I will eat a deposit or two until I find one thats condition is acceptable? What did you do?

Also, can someone help give me some insight on what the seasonal market should be for these things in the coming months? Are these things harder to find in the summer? I'm in the North East if that matters. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

get friendly with the local guys on .org and when you find something worth looking at, see if someone ( with their head screwed on right) is nearby.

at least gets you a preview from a 3rd party.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM

Yes, finding a quality Excursion in this area is a challenge. They are either beat, rust infested or 200,000 + miles and expect top dollar. I finally found mine through e-bay but, I completed everything in person. Pictures only show what they want you to see. I'm in central NJ and I could preview one for you if it is local as AggieExcursion2010 suggested.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Buy an AutoEnginuity and run the tests on any potential 7.3s you can find before you buy it. Beyond that, youre absolutely correct. They run for over 20k around these parts!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where are you located? My son leaves for college in sept, he's been driving my 02 7.3 4x4 estate green limited, 170000 mi. Not for sale presently, but I might be talked into it. In Long Island, NY.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 PM

I finally picked one up about two weeks ago. Black 2000 limited 4X4 with 1280k miles. It took five hours to get to, but was very clean. Only thing done to it is a 6" skyjacker lift, not even an intake or exhaust.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 PM

1280k I think thats a new record I hope you like your as much as we do still can't believe thay quit making them

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Sorry, that should have been 128k.

This is my first diesel. It is weird driving something so big that feels so fast. I've went through a Cobra's and a 5.0 LX in my youth and this is just as much fun. I'm sure I'll need some more power once I get used to the size. It was definitely worth the battles I had with my wife over spending so much on a 12 year old vehicle with "so many miles on it". I'm sure I am not the only one who had to go through that.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:44 AM

Ya I kinda had some of those battles when I gave 17k for a one owner 05 with a 140k on it then spent 1500 putting studs and other deletes on it now I can't get her out of it

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 06-23-2012, 05:26 PM

So what did you pay for it anyway? The wife had driven one they have at work and liked it very much. My battles were with the idiot salesperson. Who continued to drive it after placing a $500 deposit. It had 3/4 tank of fuel and when I went to pick it up it had less than 1/4. I noticed this as I was bumping the motor over to clean the penitrating oil from the accessory belt! He supposedly was instructed to do this by the "mechanic" because the belt was making noise. Mine cost 17,500 and did not have the third row, but very clean and 98,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.