How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera

I do not see where the wiring harness goes into the back cab area from under the back of the bumper. What is the best entry point to run my Edge license plate backup camera cable to the front dash? I could follow the rear AC lines to the engine compartment and then over and through the firewall but would prefer to come inside at the back. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got it done. Started ripping the back carpet up and there is a big plug back there very rear drivers side. A small slit and RTV to seal it back and presto. Tucked the cable under the sidewalls, door sills all the way to the front. This back up camera is amazing. Can't wait to hitch the trailer up.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Christ Follower

i just mounted my rear view camera in side the rear hatch handle. I wanted to get my camera up a little higher to look down at the hitch, and to prevent someone from stepping on it getting in and out of the rear. I ran the wire inside the rear window trim, through the rubber loom into the passenger compartment and under the headliner up to the a-pillar and down to the stereo.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Installed my $20 camera (bought on Amazon) yesterday...

Mounted camera on license plate bracket & ran wires up and under the gray plastic bumper cover thingy (technical term), then pried the weather strip loose, ran the wires inside and under the strip, put strip back, and ran video cable on the side - tucked under the trim. Took the door sill plastic panels off (they pull up and pop off easy) and ran wire under them. At the front driver side I ran the vid cable under the vertical inside weather stripping at the front of the door, and to my Edge CTS which is mounted on the driver side windshield. J-u-s-t had enough cable to reach!

A tip: If you have RCA connectors from the camera to the video cable and power cord, be sure to tape the heck out of them so they don't pull loose and corrode.

The backup light wire on my '03 Excursion is the pink-black one, and the ground wire is the fat black one. I patched in to the wire on the passenger rear, in the compartment where the jack is stored. If you want the camera running whenever, and not just when backing up, wore it into the running lights, and it will work whenever the lights are on.

The cheapo camera works great, by the way, and if it gets ripped off I'm not out $200 for an edge camera.

Flinch
Old 03-18-2012, 02:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys how is your camera orientation?

Mine seems backwards to me. Looking at the camera the image is backwards to the mirrors. The monitor says left but it is the right passenger side view. So if I glance at my left mirror I see the large RV to my left (drivers side, vehicle left) but the left side of the monitor shows the Mustang to my right (passenger side, vehicle right). The left on the display is camera left and not vehicle left. Not ever having one is this how all back up cameras work? I guess if I only look at the monitor perhaps I can get used to it, but if you start glancing at the mirrors and then the monitor it gets real confusing.
Attached Thumbnails
How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera-photo-1.jpg   How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera-photo-3.jpg   How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cable Routing

Please forgive me for going a little sideways on the thread.

AXTINC, I see you have installed the Edge EGT probe in your X. I am about to do the same on mine with the Insight gauge package. Where did you go through the firewall to pass the EGT cable to the exhaust manifiold? I am considering using the diamond shaped access plug just above the control module harness penetration on the driver's side of the firewall for both the EGT and the rear video cables. Will run the EGT cable from cabin to engine to keep the braided wire cover entirely in the engine compartment. Video cable will run along the frame zip-tied to the existing wiring harness and enter the cabin through the firewall where the EGT cable goes out. What do you think?
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I poked mine through the existing cable grommet. Same place the alarm/remote guys did too. There was a small slit so I poked a 1/4" hard plastic tube through from the cab, taped it well to the sender cable, had my daughter put while I fed. I ran the camera cable inside the cab drivers side.
Attached Thumbnails
How to run cable for Edge Backup Camera-photo.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.