Is this a good move? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a good move?

I'm at the point that I think I need to move on to a newer vehicle. I have found a 2005 V10 F250 Harley edition and may sell the 2001 Excursion 7.3 that I'm currently driving. I have seen several excursions on this site going for much more than what blue book shows. Do you guys think the 7.3 Excursion is worth more than what blue book would show? Ideally i would need between 14 and 15 to make this other purchase reasonable. I'm not towing the trailers like I used to and strictly use the vehicle as a daily driver to only go about 15 miles to work. My excursion has about 145,000 miles on it with no major upgrades other than a transmission temp gauge and Edge programmer. I'm running 285 tires on it and a k&n filter. I need some input. Am I crazy to get rid of a 7.3 to go a V10? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 07:19 AM

I wouldn't if it was me
Just my .02
Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yes......never get a V10...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM

My first excursion was a 00 limited v10.....even though I had no problems with it I said I would never get a Gasser again

Plus you'll have people bugging you to borrow it to haul things around. At least with an excursion they know better.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you will deffinately regret selling the 7.3L... do not do it
Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the input

Well, you guys have made this seem very clear. So other than fuel leaks and 0-rings being replaced, what would you recommend to try to improve fuel mileage some. I was anticipating some replies as far as how much to ask, but never thought so many people would confirm the "keep the 7.3" so quickly. I guess I will have to convince the wife that it is time to redo the springs on the excursion. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
what kind of MPG are you getting now? that V10 would have got you maybe 10-12mpg at the most....

you can start with the basic mods which are intake, exhaust and a custom tuned chip... that should increase it about 1-2mpg...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:38 AM

My v10 ex got 10.3 city 10.6 highway....... OUCH
Old 01-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

my buddy's 08 v10 driving like gramma between 8 - 11 mpg -- keep the 7.3
Old 01-20-2012, 09:58 AM

I am only getting between 12 and 13 just according to my overhead computer. I know that isn't really reliable, but all of the sudden it went from like 16-17 to 12-13 and I was smelling diesel. I had one guy look at it and said the 0-rings need to be replaced. I took it to a mechanic and he figured the fuel bowl was cracked. He says he drove it and cleaned under the bowl and could not find any fuel leaking. He changed the filter in it and sent it back to me. I still smell the fuel after driving, and don't know where to go from here. The entire fuel bowl assembly from ford was around $250. I just don't know which way to go. Do I keep paying mechanics to mess with it or do I just start from scratch and put the entire fuel bowl/filter assembly in with all new 0rings and see what happens to my mileage. I know it is winter and fuel isn't as good, but I don't know why I can't get my mileage back up. The previous owner had an aftermarket air filter with stock tubing and it kept falling off and laying in the housing so air was being sucked right in. Could that have damaged the turbo causing bad fuel mileage or would I know something is wrong with the turbo? Thanks guys. I don't mind keeping the excursion but I want it to be running at its best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.