PHP Gryphon or Juice w/Attitude? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP Gryphon or Juice w/Attitude?

My X is a nearly stock '03 7.3L EB. I've replaced the intake with Ford's AIS and the exhaust with a 4" MBRP.

Usage is mainly long trips with internal pax/luggage load or fall-back vehicle for neighborhood short distance runs. Will do occasional light towing to replace a departed full-bed GMC 1500CK. Very occasionally will haul 8,000 lbs of compact utility tractor and trailer less than 60 miles. Principal performance interest is to maximize MPG and longevity.

Prefer to optimize performance as inexpensively and unobtrusively as possible. Like the Edge concept of handling gauges and access to on-the-fly capability offered by Gryphon and JwA.

My question is this. Is the Gryphon approach so superior that it clearly overrides the level of Edge OEM coverage and standardized installation the JwA offers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 PM

I use the Gryphon and have been pleased with it. The edge stock tunes are fine but Bill over at PHP will customize the tunes to what you have on the truck. I use the custom 80 Daily driver most of the time and use the tow program when pulling the family travel trailer. I also like to have the digital readout to monitor egt, boost, trans temp, and oil temps. monitoring this while towing on long hills lets me know that I am towing at safe temps....... also lets me know when I need to back off.

Do your research and make a decision based on your needs. There are other custom tuners that are very good and I'm sure some others will chime in here.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run the Gryphon in my EX and really like it. I believe the Gryphon with the ability for custom tunes is the safest way to go with our trucks for a display system.

The custom tune will also control the transmission and keep from burning it up when towing. I run Bills 65HP economy tune most all of the time and you would most likely be fine with it pulling the 8K trailer. You are already not needing the switch on the fly option, which many feel out weighs the conveniance of the gauges all in one display that can give you so many variables. There are some 25 PIPs to choose from to display, 3 analog and 2 digital readings to monitor.

I also added a back up camera (cost me $60), purchased from Amaxzon - not the Edge version... When I go to reverse, it switches automatically - it does take 2 seconds.

Good luck in your decision. There are some very good tuners on here. I will say that Bill at PHP was very helpful when I was installing my Gryphon and spoke with me personally when I was setting up my custom tunes and downloading them to my system.

Mike
Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mike, thanks for your very helpful post.

I am about sold on Edge for gauges, but torn between Gryphon and PHP's Phoenix six-position chip with Edge Insight covering gauges. My Ex is lightly modified with a 4" MBRP (Turbo back) and the Ford AIS intake upgrade with foam sleeve. It currently wears Cooper 285R75/16 tires that will soon be replaced with the standard sized Michelin 265R75/16 LTX M/S2. The Ex just exceeded 200K so a transmission is likely on the horizon, at which time I will upgrade the valve block.

I'm OK with the untuned performance (though I'd welcome a free boost) and I'm getting about 16 1/2 MPG with mostly local driving. Highway MPG tops out at about 17 1/2. Whatever course I take, I'd like to improve (or at least not lose) that level of fuel economy.

My question is, given the specifics cited would you lean toward Gryphon or Phoenix? Also, would you anchor the tuning package on the 65HP Daily Driver tune?

Again, I appreciate your input and will value your advise.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

My truck gets around 20 on the highway doing 70MPH. I think the 65HP tune will pull the 8K trailer and thus not require a upload of a tune if you go with the Gryphon. You can talk with Bill or Cody at PHP for their thoughts also. On the other hand, if you go with the Pheonix, you downgrade performance tune on the fly if your EGTs get too high to be concerned about. I personally felt the 65HP was good for my every day and standard towing. I also have a 40HP heavy tow (up to 12.5K or so) and a 120 Race tune with my Gryphon. I do not see a need to change my tune on the fly. It does take about 5 minutes to change with the Gryphon system, but only do it when needed, which is to tow very heavy or want to show off some more power, lol.

If you do the Gryphon - DO GET the custom tunes ! You will be much more satisified and the canned tunes do not help transmissing handling. You can wait to order the tunes once you have your modifications all set and done. Just order them on the PHP site and they will be ready before you know it. Bill also recommended a valve body from a few different places. I went to BTS (Brians Truck Services) for mine. It is very easy to replace yourself. And a feel good to serviuce filter and fluid.

Let us know which way you go and how it works for you.

Mike
Old 03-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

chip or programmer??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbertnomore View Post
Mike, thanks for your very helpful post.

I am about sold on Edge for gauges, but torn between Gryphon and PHP's Phoenix six-position chip with Edge Insight covering gauges. My Ex is lightly modified with a 4" MBRP (Turbo back) and the Ford AIS intake upgrade with foam sleeve. It currently wears Cooper 285R75/16 tires that will soon be replaced with the standard sized Michelin 265R75/16 LTX M/S2. The Ex just exceeded 200K so a transmission is likely on the horizon, at which time I will upgrade the valve block.

I'm OK with the untuned performance (though I'd welcome a free boost) and I'm getting about 16 1/2 MPG with mostly local driving. Highway MPG tops out at about 17 1/2. Whatever course I take, I'd like to improve (or at least not lose) that level of fuel economy.

My question is, given the specifics cited would you lean toward Gryphon or Phoenix? Also, would you anchor the tuning package on the 65HP Daily Driver tune?

Again, I appreciate your input and will value your advise.
Sir,
My 7.3 Excursion is used primarily as a tow vehicle during the camping season. Other than the TYMAR intake, the engine is stock. I installed a 6.0l xmsn cooler and swapped the springs. I do not plan to modify the engine with larger injectors, ect.

I chose the FU chip along with the Edge CTS insight. I chose the FU because I didn't know exactly which tunes I really wanted. With the FU, I was able to play around with more than a dozen or so tunes which I am able to access on PHP's server. After nearly a year since purchase, and 9000 miles of camper towing, I must admit, I have settled on the six tunes that would have satisfied me if I had made a Phoenix chip purchase.
- no start
- hi idle (1100rpm)
- low idle
- 65hp moderated tow
- 80hp light tow
- 80hp daily driver (or 100 or 120)

Having the ability to switch tunes on the fly has been a convenience for me, as on a few occasions I have selected the hi idle to allow the xmsn temps to come down after long, hot, steep pulls with the trailer. And the Lo Idle does help when going through the drive through window.

The Edge Insight displays an average fuel mileage. As I loaded the higher horse power tunes, (100, 120, 140), the fuel mileage would increase as well. The Edge indicated the highest average fuel economy with the 120 "smoke" tune. Now, is that accurate or not? I'm not sure. I have not had the drive time in the truck, nor the inclination to burn the fuel required to accurately calculate the results by hand for each horse power setting.

I do know, however, having the extra 80 to 100 extra horse power over stock makes this 8000# truck a real pleasure to drive whether it's empty or towing.

As for the Edge Insight, itself, I could not be happier. Except to the EGT sensor, it truly is a “plug and Play” event. I must admit, I am an analogue guy living In a digital world, and I do like the round gauges I have installed in other trucks better than a digital number on a screen, but I certainly did not miss having to drill, tap, run the wire, inspect the grounds, and fight the truck to install all the sensors and Autometer gauges that would have been required to get the information I have in the Edge Insight. It provides parameters I have no idea what they are, but it does give me the EGT, XMSN TEMP, and ENG OIL TEMP in three analogue arcs (digitally, of course), which is just fine for me. The backup camera feed option is also nice. And the small additional cost of the Edge over what it would cost to run round gauges, is worth every penny when compared to the skinned knuckles and cussing/swearing required to install all the round ones. It truly is a great product.

Bill and the PHP folks, although they may be a small shop, he will ultimately make you a satisfied customer. He has been tuning these engines since tuning started. He was very sympathetic to my concerns about safeguarding my engine and transmission while towing. Before I purchased the chip, we exchanged many emails, and after the purchase, he called me to get the computer software running correctly.

The initial chip installation is not difficult if you simply take your time and pay attention. After that, I can remove and reinstall the FU chip in about 30 seconds. It takes about 20 minutes to reprogram all six positions. For the $200 extra dollars to upgrade to the FU from the Phoenix, I’d have to say I have no regrets doing what I did at the time, but if I am ever in need of another performance chip, knowing what I know now, I’d probably save my money and go with the Phoenix.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.