about to buy a ex need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile about to buy a ex need advice

I am posting this in both the 6.0 and this forum, Ive owned a 02 7.3 f250 nearing 300K but want a ex, I drove a 04 ex with cold air intake and exhaust and impressed with the power, I am a mechanic by trade so i'm doing the work, i will do mods but only drive rough 1-5% of my miles. I tow a 5k trailer daily. Fuel mileage is important. What is the way to go motor wise? I'm between a 02 7.3 and a 04 6.0 both have close to 180K. Also what is the approx cost to do a 6.0 so it holds up? I won't pay for labor but head bolts, egr and oil coolers etc? Thanks for your thoughts. if I go 7.3 with exhaust,a tune how will I compare to the 6.0? I am not a racer but a little power never hurt. Thanks, When I do get a ex I will provide info and as much tech help as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 PM

I have a 01 Ex with the 7.3 towing my jeep around on it I get 15 all day long at 665-70 if I slow it down to 60 I am around 17. Jeep trailer loaded with camping/food/tools around 8000 pounds. My 7.3 pulls it and stops it no problem. I have a buddy with a late 03 6.0. I have towed with his truck and got 14ish. The 6.0 feels like there is more power then my 7.3. Does it matter to me no. I am not chip tuned or anything. They both stopped anything I tossed at it. Ohh I towed a bobcat (10,500 just for the machine) and it did fine there too on my X.
Though my buddies truck has been in the shop for a no start for 6 months. They say they fix one thing they finally get it running and then it does the same thing. Guy who owns the shop used to be a diesel guy at ford but I don't think he knows he hand from his ***. For the 6.0's I know you are going to want to do headstuds, EGR delete. HPOP check that too. If it is going don't replace it with the factory-- well you know well enough if you have to fix something you should just upgrade it to a performance part if they are the same price. The 6.0's are great motors, do the normal maintenance when you are suppose (sounds like you will) and they will run a long time.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM

having a 02 excursion I'm kind of bias but of would go with the 7.3 if I was you. i have friends with 6.0's having problems here and there and my 7.3 keeps going with no problems.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelless414 View Post
having a 02 excursion I'm kind of bias but of would go with the 7.3 if I was you. i have friends with 6.0's having problems here and there and my 7.3 keeps going with no problems.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm no expert, but it'll take a couple grand for sure if u want to make the 6.0 "fit" to drive. Although the head studs aren't crazy expensive the labor to do the job isn't cheap, and unless you have your own full blown shop it can't be done by yourself. Have a buddy whose a mechanic at ford, cab has to be lifted off...fun stuff. I may be bias as well owning a 02 7.3 but these engines just run and don't have any major problems (outside transmission issues, but that's no different than the 6.0). I've seen 6.0s go 200k with minimal problems, also have seen them go 75k with big problems. I've owned 3 7.3s and I'm extremely heavy footed and into heavy modification and have had minimal problems with any of them. Worst engine issue I had? Bad seal in oil pump...cost me 8 bucks to fix...I know where my loyalty stands.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.