Ball joint replacement questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 06:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball joint replacement questions

I have the dreadded poping coming from my driver side now.

I understand that the DS is most prone to go out on these trucks. I am looking to replace both by probably Moog or comparible.

My questions are:

1) Is there a more recommended brand? Or any to stay away from?

2) How difficult are these to do? I have done cars and they can be painful and not 4WD either.

3) If I have them done by a shop, what labor cost should I expect to pay?

I have a shop that I use for work that I just do not want to do or can't do. They seem to be fairly reasonable and allow me to get parts and they do the labor.

Is there any major type work that will save labor costs to be done during this repair? Should I do anything else when doing this job? Like springs and/or shocks? I am thinking of doing the front and rear springs some time in the future. I am not sure if I can afford all of this at once. I put the RAS system on and that was a huge help for pulling a trailer but know the front and rear springs should be replaced for any major towing.

Thanks for your advice,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 PM

i am getting ready to do ball joints on my 03 f-350 4x4. i have heared moog are good spicerare good ,dynatrac are good but cost an arm and a leg. i am having a shop do mine for $675 with is a good deal because i have gotten quotes for $1000 to do the work.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 PM

I started to price parts out last night and today...

Autozone only has the duralast prices online.

I checked Summit today and the Moog says 2WD. Are the 2WD and 4WD parts the same?

Also, what all should I buy when doing this, upper and lowers on both sides?

What should I get done while in there?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-29-2011, 10:34 PM

i doubt the 2wd and the 4wd are the same. i would do all 4 ball joints while it was tore down.i would check your wheel bearings and your axle shaft u joints.after you get your ball joints done you will need to get your truck allinged. check napa for ball joints they sell spicer ball joints make sure they have grease fittings in them so you can grease them so they last longer.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 AM

OK... I found the part numbers for the 4WD by going to Advanced Auto Parts for Moog. Summit does not list the option of 4WD for the Excursion and when I looked the part number up, it was for a F250/350 4WD. Of course !

I will look at NAPA prices on Spicer brand. It will be that or Moog. I only want to do this once.

Thanks for the tip to check wheel bearings and axle shaft U joints. For the U joints... check for any looseness I guess and what do I look for on the bearings? I know the purpose of each, but not a method to check if they need replaced also.

THANKS for helping me prepare for this job.

Mike
Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM

for the u joints check for anything loose. and for the wheel bearings make shure they are tight and they dont bind up or squeak when you rotate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.