X wont start need help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
X wont start need help.

Alright i started the truck up last night just fine. This morning I go to start it (35 degrees last night about 45 this morning) No I didn't plug it in yes I need to change my glow plugs ( I have them in the center console just to lazy lol)

Ok so she starts to turnover this morning like always, then everything shuts off. The relays under the steering column are going crazy at clicking speed. So I figured i blew either my ACC relay or the battery saver relay. Run and grab one. Put it in the battery saver and rapid clicking continues. Could I have blown both the ACC and Battery saver relays? The exterior lights don't work, the interior lights don't work. I don't have any blown fuses (yes I checked them all). The batteries read (main- 12.59-- secondary- 12.10)

I am going to go grab a second relay and see if I blew them both. Any other ideas are much appreciated.

The dead 7.3L thanks you lol

Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM

ok grabbed a second relay think I blew them both. Nope still get that rapid clicking. only with the key out of the ignition or in the off position. If I turn the truck to ACC position nothing happens or of I turn it to the on position nothing happens. i still don't have any blown fuses. The cluster doesn't light up either (no battery light,headlights,interior lights) But the door chime works the most annoying thing works damnit lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Alright more info.... With the driver door open and both relay's in I get the rapid clicking. With the battery saver relay out the door chime rolls. With the door shut and both relay's in nothing clicks but I still don't have power to the dash except for the THEFT light blinking.

I am also not getting the normal noise from the butterfly opening/closing when I turn the truck to the on position.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Alright more info.... IF I pull out fuse (15) Stop lamp switch (logic),PATS,GEM The rapid clicking of the battery saver relay stops. I still am not getting any power to the cluster or anything else for that matter.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Here is another update. If I pull fuse (14) with (15) still in the clicking goes away and the door chime works with the door open. If they are both in with the door open the relay goes back into rapid click.

I still do not get any lights or radio to come on. Even with door open the interior lights will not work. Horn will not work either. Fuse (14) controls the dome,cargo,courtesy,runnin boards,power mirrors,power windows,vanity lamps,box lamps and is the (delayed ACC) This fuse is also not blown
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM

ok more of a update. If I have the ACC relay out and just the battery saver relay in and put the truck to the ACC postion that battery relay clicks (sounds like a turn signal)

Can anybody help -- I would love for my truck to be able to run as it is my only vehicle as my jeep is sitting on my trailer a hour a way.

I have no power locks,windows, key fob on the door. So at the moment I have a lovely 8,xxx pound paper weight lol.

Last edited by jdhallissey; 11-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Mine clicked like that when my batteries were dead. I know you have good voltage on the batts, but have you checked the linkage, maybe a loose connection. Sounds just like what mine did when the batts were dead. That's all i can think of.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I figured it out. The previous owner is/was a electrical guru and decided to twist connections together under the dash and then just electrical tape them lol. I soldered them up and made them right. The truck is much happier now but then looking at the alternator wiring is the same way. I want to go slap this guy.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would still check the voltage on your batteries. Low voltage can make crazy things like flashing lights and clicking relays happen.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

Checking voltage isn't everything, either. You need to do a load test on the batteries in order to check if they are good or not. I had my main battery putting out 12.7 volts, but when I tested it, it was only putting out ~300 amps. Advance will do it for free.

Good find on the connections. I'm still trying to fix my radio due to my ex's brother attempting to hook up an amp and melted a bunch of wires under the steering column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.