7.3 or 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 or 6.0?

Hey all

I as many know my wife and I are looking at an X with a 6.0 but we also found one with a 7.3 for around the same price.

I know that the 6.0 makes better power and maybe mileage but I have also herd that the 7.3 is a better motor.

I am wondering if the 7.3 can be done up as well as the 6.0 and if its a better bet over all.

Please let me know what you all think

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
The 6.0 is a better engine assuming you can take care of it adequately. The 7.3 can be neglected and will keep ticking. If you are capable of doing your own maintenance, and don't mind fiddling around to ensure you are in tip top shape, buy the 6.0. If you want a truck that you can stretch the oil change intervals, and weld the hood closed, get a 7.3!
Old 10-31-2011, 03:20 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have both. Agreed with above, hands down the 6.0 if was and is taken care of.

I like both tho!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
The 6.0 is a better engine assuming you can take care of it adequately. The 7.3 can be neglected and will keep ticking. If you are capable of doing your own maintenance, and don't mind fiddling around to ensure you are in tip top shape, buy the 6.0. If you want a truck that you can stretch the oil change intervals, and weld the hood closed, get a 7.3!
I'm in the same boat as darklcd (original post). I have no problem doing routine maintenance and can do more in depth repairs if necessary, just don't really want to. If doing maintenance is the only difference then I don't mind going with the 6.0. It's just that I've heard so many people say to stay away from it. Can you elaborate on why it's a better engine?

I've got a buddy with a '99 F-350 7.3l and when I borrowed his truck with a superchips programmer I easily got 18mpg. I see on here that's pretty easy to get with the 7.3. How do the 6.0 excursions measure up regarding mpg?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Unhappy

I've got the 7.3l Ex, 2003 model. Researched the engines at length, and had a '99 F250 with the 7.3 liter, so am familiar with them.

The 6.0 are notorious for having major problems, especially the 2003-2004.5 models. Buying a used one, unless you bet your pocketbook on the person selling, is a crap shoot.

If, and this is a big if, I were to get a 6.0, I would put aside $5-6000 to get the head bolts/studs/gasket replaced, go through the emissions package, and take care of various add-ons to increase the reliability. Theoretically, the 6.0 IS a 'better' engine, if you only look at torque and Hp. BUT...

There is a reason Ford got sued over this engine...

Now, there are those who will raise Cain about their 6.0 running a zillion miles with no problems, and bless them for that, but just visit the 6.0 forum for a while before you decide...

My advice? Get the 7.3l unless you have extra disposable income.

Good luck!

Flinch
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM

I agree with Flinch. I know several people with the 6.0, One thing to add to Finch, it depends on what you are going to do with your truck too. For example if you are only going to tow light loads, a little offroading and no racing the 6.0 can last a long time without 5k in upgrades but if you are going to work the truck hard then either plan to spent 5k on the 6.0 or buy a 7.3.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, well thanks for the insight which is kind of what I was thinking. I've been reading quite a bit on the 6.0 forum and seems like there's about 10+ things to keep up with on the gauges or a monitor like an Edge. I'm sure I could read and learn what to watch for on them, but it seems like a nuisance to keep up with when I'd rather be enjoying the scenery. Add that to the fact that my wife will be driving it a good bit and relies on warning lights to tell her something is wrong and it sounds like certain disaster, just a matter of time.

We'll be towing a 30ft camper through some mountains probably a dozen times a year, flatbed with four-wheelers, etc. but nothing extreme and I'm familiar with the 7.3 so I know it will get the job done. I don't mind working on suspension, ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, and things like that which are certain to come with a 10 year old vehicle....and I'd rather do that than tear into a 6.0 to bullet proof it. Looking at a few currently so I'll post pics and info when I make the purchase...hopefully within the next week.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:03 PM

Make sure the trans in that X shifts good wouldnt want that going out in the mountains, if they are the same price for the same miles 7.3 is not a bad choice at all but who knows how the last owner treated the truck
Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner21 View Post
Make sure the trans in that X shifts good wouldnt want that going out in the mountains, if they are the same price for the same miles 7.3 is not a bad choice at all but who knows how the last owner treated the truck
I've got one I'm looking at pretty seriously which is an 2003 with the 7.3l, 225k miles on the original tranny, but it's a one owner southern Ex with zero rust and pretty good shape. I'm planning on going ahead and having the transmission rebuilt if it shows any signs of wear.

One question though. Did Ford use the same transmission in the '03 models with the 7.3 as the 99-02 models? I think they changed the transmission with the 6.0 but not sure which one is in the 7.3 for 2003 models.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

The 7.3L uses a 4R100, the 6.0 uses a 5R110 Transmisison.

It sounds like you are aware of the transmission situation on the 7.3's so aside from that the 7.3 is (in my experience) WAY more reliable than a 6.0. I did drop almost as much on my transmission as most 6.0 owners do on their engine though, so.....half of one dozen/6 of the other? Just a personal opinion...but I love the 7.3.
-Aaorn
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenF350 For This Useful Post:
lukas4570 (03-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.