Am I missing something? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I missing something?

Over the summer, bought a 7.3 excursion, has all the toys Garret turbo, afe intake,ts chip, big exhaust and so on. What is bugging me is my 5.7 triton f150 pickup tows our family camper hands down better than this truck. I run into issues mostly on hilly sections, my egt gets up into the 11s so quickly I find myself crawling up hills, am I doing something wrong? Should I have something checked? For what it's worth the camper and everything is around 8500 lbs loaded (heavily). But it still struggles with it empty.

Last edited by macsdaddy; 10-26-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What chip you got? A good chip should not have egt problems in a tow mode. Or maybe you have some leaking uppies?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselEX View Post
What chip you got? A good chip should not have egt problems in a tow mode. Or maybe you have some leaking uppies?
I'm guessing chip is junk, or you have a leak, either up-pipes and/or intercooler boots. Check out your turbo, too. What's your mileage?
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

117k it's the six position chip, actually I sent it back to ts to be checked an it was a ok. As far as upper pipes go (kinda new at this) what am I looking for and where? Same with intercooler boots. The turbo seems to boost ok but is pretty loud so how would I check that? Really want this to work right so I appreciate all the help.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just found garrett's troubleshooting page, gonna try some of their suggestions.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Easiest way to check the up-pipes for leaks is to check them for soot.

Also check your turbo, check the wheel for any damage, spins freely, and no shaft play.

Check all your clamps, the ones under the spider going to the plenums, (4 worm-drive) intercooler pipes, (2 per side) The Up-Pipe Clamp to the turbo, The Turbo-Spider clamp, (Worm Drive) and the down-pipe clamp. All are 11mm deep socket. Check the boots for excess wear and or holes/cracks. If you don't have a boost gauge and don't know how much you are building, it's a bit harder to check.

If you have the stock CCV your boots are probably saturated with oil. Mine were at 90k miles... (Intake plenums were the worst.) I soaked them 3x using degreasers and hot water, let them dry and they STILL had oil seepage.

I would defintely check the EBV Sensor, too. Welcome to guzzle's Exhaust Backpressure Sensor Cleaning Maintenance Web Page

To do a boost-leak test, (If you have a aftermarket CCV, you need to plug it) you can build a detector from some 4" PVC piping with a cap. You need a air compressor, 1-way compressor fitting or tire valve, and a pressure gauge. Seal all the threads up well. Install just after your intake. (Remove/disconnect intake) You then pump the system up to about 15psi and see if it hold pressure or leaks. Take a spray bottle with some soapy water and look for any bubbles/escaping air. (Check the intercooler boots and plenums.)
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I don't think triton is available in 5.7l.......
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pardon....5.4
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My boost gauge never reads over 15 when towing..usually in the 5 to 10 range in town or highway
Old 10-28-2011, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is a bit of crud at every connection but nothing that seems excessive. All of the clamps are snug and to the eye and by feel all of the hose connectors appear fine. I will have to admit though I do not know what a ccv boot is could you point me in that direction? I will also be checking for play and free spin today. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.