'00 Lift and HUMVEE wheel/tire combo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'00 Lift and HUMVEE wheel/tire combo

My '00 Ex is in need of some upgrades. I'm looking for my first lift and I want to go around 6"-8" so I can fit 37" tires which will be mounted on HUMVEE wheels from Trail Worthy Fab. The reason, before anyone asks, is that I can get a complete set of 5 wheels and tires that have had the old centers cut out and new 8x170 centers welded in for around $1500. Stock size Michelins were around $250 each last time I priced them and I'll be able to get a complete set of 4 military take-off tires for around $400 and I can change them myself since the wheels are 2 piece.

I have several questions though:
1. What backspacing should I order on my new wheels?
2. I've heard that a stock 4x4 Ex will run 35"s with minor bumper trimming. That being said, can I fit 37"s and a 6" lift without trimming or will I need to go 8"? I've even seen 5" and 7" kits... Would either of those work?
3. I eventually want to get a full system from One Up Offroad, but I'm not willing to spend $8,000+ on a suspension system right now, so what can I get for $1500-$2000 that is decent quality?
4. I know that Excursions have slightly different suspensions than SD pickups, hence the availability of Excursion leveling kits, but can I use a regular SD lift on my Ex or will the front end still be lower?
5. My final question is about exhaust. I want to put a 4" downpipe and a 5" system on. I've heard that like suspensions, the exhaust on the Ex is different from any of the pickup setups and lengths. So, do I definitely need a specific Ex system or can I use one designed for a pickup?

If anyone has any experience with the HUMVEE wheels on an Excursion or even a pickup, I'd love to hear the advice and see pics of your rig along with specs on your lift and wheel backspacing. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think that would look good. Be cool to see how it turns out you'll have to post pics when you get this done.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:01 AM

I've been wanting to do this for a long time now, but only recently had the budget. Besides, I need new tires. Anyway, this guy is running the same wheels and tires I want on 8" lift but I don't think the combo looks right. They're too tucked up under the truck and they look too small for the amount of lift. It's not bad, but I don't think it's amazing either... I might want different backspacing.

Lets see all of your lifted Excursions - Page 21 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah they are tucked under a ways. I guess them tires just look bigger when they're on a hummer. Doesn't seem that skinny on my dad's company hummer. I think it would probably look good with a 6" lift though long as they don't rub.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COINSLoT View Post
2. I've heard that a stock 4x4 Ex will run 35"s with minor bumper trimming. That being said, can I fit 37"s and a 6" lift without trimming or will I need to go 8"? I've even seen 5" and 7" kits... Would either of those work?
3. I eventually want to get a full system from One Up Offroad, but I'm not willing to spend $8,000+ on a suspension system right now, so what can I get for $1500-$2000 that is decent quality?
4. I know that Excursions have slightly different suspensions than SD pickups, hence the availability of Excursion leveling kits, but can I use a regular SD lift on my Ex or will the front end still be lower?
5. My final question is about exhaust. I want to put a 4" downpipe and a 5" system on. I've heard that like suspensions, the exhaust on the Ex is different from any of the pickup setups and lengths. So, do I definitely need a specific Ex system or can I use one designed for a pickup?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
I only have input on a couple of your questions, hopefully somebody else will chime in and help with the rest.

2:8" kit will fit 37s no trimming. Or 6" with correct offset and only minor trimming.
3:You can get a decent kit for 2 - 3k, just depends on what you are really looking for.
4: I don't know the exact difference in the kits, but I will say this, I took my 8" kit off my f250 and put it on my excursion. The issue I had was the rear not the front. The rear of the excursion is so heavy, it sits too low in the back.
5: Exhaust is only tricky at the rear. 5" hits between the fuel tank and the rear shock. From what I hear, the 4" is close. But 5" will not fit.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
on a side note.. why not just buy some 16.5 wheels and put the military tires on it? you would spend a lot less.. you can get those steel wheels for about 100 each brand new...
Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM

@BigKid: Thanks! I guess I'm looking for a specific Excursion lift, then. Also, my stock exhaust is currently chopped off midway up the truck and exits somewhere between the front passenger's butt and the rear passenger's feet, so I suppose I could hack up a 5" if I really wanted to, but I might just go for a 4" so i don't have to deal with the headache. Besides, I don't currently have a tip sticking out the side and that looks weird LOL! Also, do you know what the "correct" backspacing is?

@Raul: I could do that, but I really like the look and the idea of the HUMVEE wheels. Plus, I can change tires myself that way and they don't cost too much more than a set of cheapo steelies in the long run. Basically, I like them and they're within my budget. Unfortunately, like I said earlier, the $8K suspension is not!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:12 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have helped hundreds fix the handling problems of the Excursions..PM if we can help.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

I just took off a set of the Goodyear MT military OZ tires and let me tell you I will never run them again. Yes they are cheap but ride like ****! I did not realize just how bad they were till I just put a set of TOYO Open Country MT's on!!! Just my two cents but go ahead and spend the money and get some good tires!
Old 10-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL
Yea they are useless in the snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.