Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington, VA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'00 Lift and HUMVEE wheel/tire combo
My '00 Ex is in need of some upgrades. I'm looking for my first lift and I want to go around 6"-8" so I can fit 37" tires which will be mounted on HUMVEE wheels from Trail Worthy Fab. The reason, before anyone asks, is that I can get a complete set of 5 wheels and tires that have had the old centers cut out and new 8x170 centers welded in for around $1500. Stock size Michelins were around $250 each last time I priced them and I'll be able to get a complete set of 4 military take-off tires for around $400 and I can change them myself since the wheels are 2 piece.
I have several questions though:
1. What backspacing should I order on my new wheels?
2. I've heard that a stock 4x4 Ex will run 35"s with minor bumper trimming. That being said, can I fit 37"s and a 6" lift without trimming or will I need to go 8"? I've even seen 5" and 7" kits... Would either of those work?
3. I eventually want to get a full system from One Up Offroad, but I'm not willing to spend $8,000+ on a suspension system right now, so what can I get for $1500-$2000 that is decent quality?
4. I know that Excursions have slightly different suspensions than SD pickups, hence the availability of Excursion leveling kits, but can I use a regular SD lift on my Ex or will the front end still be lower?
5. My final question is about exhaust. I want to put a 4" downpipe and a 5" system on. I've heard that like suspensions, the exhaust on the Ex is different from any of the pickup setups and lengths. So, do I definitely need a specific Ex system or can I use one designed for a pickup?
If anyone has any experience with the HUMVEE wheels on an Excursion or even a pickup, I'd love to hear the advice and see pics of your rig along with specs on your lift and wheel backspacing. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
2000 7.3 Powersmoke Sexcursion 4x4, 3.5" straight pipe, 10K Ohm resistor mod, 6637 filter, Foil delete, Wastegate delete, MAP fooler, Zoodad, Amsoil remote full flow and bypass filter.