newbie hoping to pick up an 02 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
newbie hoping to pick up an 02

Hey guys. I test drove an 02 excursion today. Seemed ok but i've never owned a diesel before especially a powerstroke. When i got onto the highway and gave it gas it accelerated but the sound seemed kinda.. umm... stuttery? the power didnt seem to fluctuate just the turbo noise sounded a little strange. NO smoke on startup no smoke when execrating. shifted well. Horrible brake shake when slowing down off hwy. The front passenger door wouldn't unlock or lock automatically. And the door ajar light stayed on the whole time although all the doors were shut. The motor at idle was actually much quieter than i thought it should be so i think thats a good thing.

CAn you guys give me some suggestions on what to look for and what are the common problems with the 02 excursions?
Thank you in advance for your time.

Hopefully if everything is ok with it i might pick this thing up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does it have a programmer on it? Sounds like a door switch is bad. Rotors are warped. How much?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 AM

No programer that i could see. Stock as a rock. Stock exhaust stock air filter. Has 182k miles on it. They are asking $14,490 as "internet sale". Needs new tires. they just replaced one tire as it was flat. Has no spare. Does have jack and the arms that are attached to top of radiator. The front pas door would not lock or unlock electronically.
They just told me it passed state safety inspection and they are waiting on sensor to correct the door ajar light.

Ive watched the videos on how to buy a powerstroke on youtube and will check for all the issues he mentions especially the broken bolts at end of exhaust manifolds and leaks.

Are the non expensive ways to re/upholster the seats?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The noise you're hearing probably is the turbo 'surge'. Look it up on youtube and you can see if that's the noise you're hearing. If that's what it is, try not to do it again because it will eventually wear out your turbo. You can look up the wicked wheel mod and that fixes the surge. There's also a write up on the door locks and how to fix in the 99-03 interior section.

Last edited by jse51599; 09-28-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Door Lock Actuator Mod Video
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07

Spray some WD-40 on all the door latches, it's a common problem and the WD-40 fixes is 99% of the time.

As far as the vibration, it could be sticking calipers, or more commonly the Caliper slide pins. Take the wheels off and check it out.
Welcome to guzzle's Front Caliper Slide Pin Upgrade Web

Also, check out the PCM and see if there is anything plugs into it, any wires coming out the black box or the PCM itself. (It's the silver box on the firewall right beside the E-brake.)
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 PM

Thanks guys. Just watched the surge videos im not sure if its the same sound. It could be. Is the surge at full boost? Great video/writeup on the door actuator DIY. What do you guys think about the price they are asking? The body is in great shape except for the driver mirror having a crack in it and a large scrape thats rusting on the roof. The roof scrape is a sand/paint myself job as its on the roof and noone can see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.