Older Excursion or newer Expedition - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Older Excursion or newer Expedition

Guys, I really need some help with a hard decision. I currently have a 2006 expedition with 60k bought it new. I still owe $ 4700 on it and it will be paid off in 9 months. I have always wanted an excursion I wanted one when I bought my truck but there was only a few new ones around and there was no financing incentives for them at the time I bought my truck. I got the 72 months 0 %. I have found a good deal on a 2000 7.3 excursion with 154k for 12,500. However if I buy the excursion I will have to sell my truck makes no since to have both and I will need the money to buy the excursion. So what should I do keep my truck thatís almost paid for and has low mileage or get a 6 year older excursion diesel with more miles but with the 7.3. My wife thinks Iím crazy for even thinking about it because my truck is newer less miles and has no problems. Buying a 6 older truck could be asking for trouble. What to do? Any thought or opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would sit back and figure out what you would do with the bigger Excursion. I have a 03 with the 6.0 diesel. I love it. My primary use is to haul the family and their gear around the mountains with plans to tow a 25 ft or so travel trailer around. Recognize that the 7.3 is a solid engine that can get several more years of use and more types of mods than you can dream of. Weigh the fact to fill a 44 gal Excursion will take more than $100 for diesel. I would take the plunge for the Excursion. Both trucks (SUV) are good platforms.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I had to explain to my wife also ok how bought this altough u have 60k on the gasr at 100k prob like 2 years stuf will start to go wrong. With this it becomes less reliable for the family ive had 2 7.3l never once stuck on the road im looking for a 7.3l x for my lil one on the way
Old 09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I should add

I should also mention that I have a 25' Maxum cruiser boat that I tow which the 06 seems to tow fine. I don’t tow that much or go very far but its still a little scary towing it. We also make a few family beach trips every year and we don’t pack lite it would be nice to have the extra room. I also that about that the 7.3 would give me better mpg I’m getting 12 city 17-18 highway on a long trip about 13-14 mixed. I also like the idea of being able to one day burn WVO which I will never be able to do in the 06 expedition. But all feedback is good.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was in your boat not to long ago, looked at the gassers but went with a 02 7.3 X for the sightly better fuel economy and the hopes of doing a wvo set up as well... I've got five kids and we needed more leg room not to mention the cargo space. I have a 25 foot four winns cabin cruiser that I tow also, and she pulls like a dream behind the X!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'd shop for the best deal I could find on a good, used Excursion 7.3 and never look back.

If the 2000 you're looking at is 4x4 and clean, well maintained, no accident, etc. - it probably won't depreciate a bunch more even with lots of miles if you keep it nice.

An Excursion or other 7.3 that has depreciated down is about as cheap as one can drive, IMHO. They are good for a zillion miles, economical on fuel, plenty of power, lots of room, and reliable and easy to work on.

All 7.3's I've had have been virtually trouble free, and I've had a bunch. I have two now with 350,000 and 260,000 plus miles, and there's not a gasser I'd rather have than either of them.

No question I'd jump to an Excursion. If you're not sure you'll want to keep it forever, a 4x4 will sure hold on for resale purposes.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.