Stupid questions to some - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stupid questions to some

First Ford vehicle I have owned to drive on the road (except from field to field) in 20 years.

1.) Does a 2002 7.3 require the exhaust additive I see at Wal Mart?
2.) Does a 2002 7.3 need an upper cylinder lubricant ie. Lucas .-. atf?
3.) Does anyone use a Gulf Coast paper towel type bypass filter .-. the 1 .-. 2 ?
4.) If true to previous dumb question where did you mount it, access the pressure and dump the supply?
5.) How does changing and flushing the coolant help the mpg?

...---... I am sure to have more stupid questions ...---... :-) !!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
1. No exhaust fluid in a 7.3
2. Not required but I run 2 stroke ashless oil and/or diesel kleen upon fillups.
3. I have seen it but don't have one, I plan on getting the nuc motorsports bypass.
4. N/a
5. Coolant flush help mpg? New theory to me. Just make sure it has the right amount of additive with the test strips to avoid cavitation, or switch to ecl1 rated coolant
Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitmanmc View Post
First Ford vehicle I have owned to drive on the road (except from field to field) in 20 years.

1.) Does a 2002 7.3 require the exhaust additive I see at Wal Mart? Nope. 2011 and up.

2.) Does a 2002 7.3 need an upper cylinder lubricant ie. Lucas .-. atf? Need? No. DieselKleen is used a lot. ATF works too. But NO oil additives at all.

3.) Does anyone use a Gulf Coast paper towel type bypass filter .-. the 1 .-. 2 ? Guess it's for oil? If so, and you add a bypass filter, do not extend oil changes that much more. Maybe up to 7500 miles each time. The oil becomes sheared with the HPOP and HEUI system and a filter doesn't reverse this.

4.) If true to previous dumb question where did you mount it, access the pressure and dump the supply?
5.) How does changing and flushing the coolant help the mpg? It doesn't? Never heard it. It'll save your engine though.

...---... I am sure to have more stupid questions ...---... :-) !!!!!!!!
Answered in red.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
1.) Does a 2002 7.3 require the exhaust additive I see at Wal Mart?
No, however I do use a fuel additive since the 7.3 was developed prior to ultra low sulfur diesel. The sulfur acts as a lubricator for seals and such. I use Amsoil's Cetane boost and Diesel Additive Concentrate. No urea injection until the 6.7s came out if I am remembering correctly
2.) Does a 2002 7.3 need an upper cylinder lubricant ie. Lucas .-. atf? I've never used one, and caution any oil additives without doing your homework. If it causes the oil to foam it can lead to injector failure
3.) Does anyone use a Gulf Coast paper towel type bypass filter .-. the 1 .-. 2 ? I don't and don't know anyone personally who does.
4.) If true to previous dumb question where did you mount it, access the pressure and dump the supply?N/A
5.) How does changing and flushing the coolant help the mpg? I've never heard of this. Now, I could see if the engine ran at a cooler temperature it could raise MPGs, however, no coolant is going to lower the temperature that much. Each engine has its "optimum" operating temperature, and I know for a fact they aren't all exactly the same in the 7.3s.

The 7.3 is a GREAT engine and doesn't need a lot of upkeep. Mine has 130K on it an it runs just as strong as it did when it was new. I know of many 7.3s that have had no mods, and no special care that have lasted an easy 400K.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckGirl View Post
5.) How does changing and flushing the coolant help the mpg? I've never heard of this. Now, I could see if the engine ran at a cooler temperature it could raise MPGs, however, no coolant is going to lower the temperature that much. Each engine has its "optimum" operating temperature, and I know for a fact they aren't all exactly the same in the 7.3s.
To me, they are going to run better at a HIGHER temp. I've got a 203* thermostat in there (which is what IH put in it origianlly) and I honestly think it has helped some because it helps promote more complete combustion since diesels need heat.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:20 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
To me, they are going to run better at a HIGHER temp. I've got a 203* thermostat in there (which is what IH put in it origianlly) and I honestly think it has helped some because it helps promote more complete combustion since diesels need heat.
So you like it? I looked into buying the 203* and also the one offered by terminator (180* i believe)
Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Not sure why you'd go 180*. A lot lower than Ford OEM. I did the Dieselsite 203* Thermo and full billet thermo housing too.
But yes, I like it. It does run a bit better, mainly at full operating temp. As for MPGs, haven't been keeping track so idk but I wouldn't doubt if it helped a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.