Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?

Well I said the day I buy one I will stop being a lurker and join the site and here I am. My first ever PSD and I am excited. Its a 2002 Excursion XLT 7.3L 4x4, 202k miles, white w/tan cloth. A local marine store owned it and used it for towing here and there and randoms jobs. It isnt flawless but I feel its a diamond in the rough. At first I wanted one that wasn't used for towing anything, but I quickly learned they were hard to find for my price range (under $10k). This one was inspected by ford and I need a few things: Fuel heater, transfer case motor, tires, maybe bigger wheels?. All in all am OK with putting about $2500 into it cuz I bought it for a good price. The repairs will run me about $800 so I have a little room to "play"

It is bone stock and I want to make some minor mods to it, while still keeping a classic look. It needs tires so I was considering wheels and tires. Maybe 18's but I dont know.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS for my new PSD? I will be traveling a great deal in it and want it to be awesome on the highway.

Thanks in advance fellas!
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?-excursion1.jpg   Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?-excursion2.jpg   Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?-excursion3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

first off

as far as performance mods, first would definitely be exhaust to reduce your EGT's and maybe a different intake system. I personally haven't done my intake on my truck but others say it helps but i

as far as the transfer case motor, if you can replace yourself do it will save you some money. same as the fuel filter heater.

Main things are maintenence, maintenence ,maintenence..

my buddy has an 01 excursion with the 7.3 with 551k. runs as good as my f250 w/ 140k.

first thing i would do is change ALL fluids from front to back. diffs, oil, antifreeze, brake, t-case, and trans. that way you know when was last serviced yourself.

another thing that most of us do for fuel additive is go to wal-mart and buy a gallon of supertech 2 cycle oil and run a/b 1 quart of this every fill up to help lube up the fuel system due to ultra low sulfur diesel fuel not. i even noticed mine to run a lil smoother as well...

hope this helps and enjoy the famous 7.3 !!!
Old 08-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

also as far as tires if you keep your factory wheels the best tires i know of are Bridgestone Duravis R500hd my buddy had his first set on his excursion for 125k only replaced due to had some slight drycracking and was a/b to take a 3,000 mile trip in the winter up north.. I had a set of these on my old dodge and WOW the smoothest riding truck tire i've ever rode on.. once my tires wear out thats what i'm going with...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 08-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I purchased my 00 EX about 7 months ago. It was bone stock and in very nice condition.

Here is what I did, and do not regret it at all...

1st - I put a 4" MBRP turbo back w/ muffler system on it. It sounds a little weird when accelerating, but feel it helped a lot to open the exhast and will help keep EGTs down.

2nd - I called PHP (Power Hungry Performance) to inquire about their Gryphon CTS. It is the Edges CTS system that PHP works directly with Edge and modifies their ability and also includes transmission controls. I like the idea of the edge system, as it replaces the need for a gauge pillar pod that can sometimes hinder sight. I put the upgradable and stackable EGT sensor in with it. The 3 canned tunes will do you good for a while until you get all of your mods completed to get personalized tunes for your specific needs. I am running the level 2 canned tune and the truck came alive when I installed this system. What a major difference in power. Yes, you are not able to switch on the fly and it takes about 6-7 minutes if you need to change power levels, but I don't see the need that often to change. BTW, I also just spent $70 for a camera that I mounted on the rear bumper and it connects right into the CTS and when I go into reverse - I have a backup camera to help guide me to the trailer ! ! !

3rd - and you will need to do this in conjunction with the 2nd, to get adequate air to the motor. I put an AFE Stage II cold air intake on. This allows the much more needed air to the motor to support the power the motor can make. there are cheaper ways to do this out there with DIY, and a NAPA filter, you can find the part number on here.

4th - At the suggestion of Bill at PHP, I called BTS (Brians Truck Stop) and ordered a valve body upgrade for the tranny. That is definately a weak point for our drive trains. The computer control through a programmer is helpful, but replacing to an upgraded valvebody with larger passages helps more than just pressure alone. If you are going to tow, you will want to replace your stock trans cooler with a 6.0 type. They make 2 sizes, I think 26 and 31 rows. I went with the 31 row as my 2000 did not use the radiator to help cooling the fluid before the cooler. Brian at BTS informed me that some time in 00, they started routing through the radiator also - I must be before that, darn it. I purchased mine through Tousley Ford online and you will probably not find a better price for either cooler.

5th - I am waiting for Bill at PHP to build my custom tunes. I feel completely done with powertrain mods and ordered the following tunes from PHP. 40HP heavy tow - good for pulling 12-13K loads (when we take the enclosed car trailer loaded to shows and races), a 65HP daily driver - good for every day economy and pulling my 6.5K boat and trailer with no problems and a 120HP race tune for when I want to be a little crazy and show off my PSD.

I hope to help you determine what will work best for you. Not everyone likes the same modifications. This is just what I felt suited me best, and I am very happy with what I have.

Enjoy your EX !

Mike
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva

As for fuel additives I run Howe's Diesel treat. Mods are in my sig
Old 08-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for your responses.. I am still contemplating my plan of attack for this truck. I will keep you updated as to my progress and will post new pics too. Any more ideas are welcome.

Thanks Again,
Steve

P.S. I go outside just to start it and listen to the diesel purr...
Old 08-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I would definitely recommend you do some searches on the site for the CPS. They're known for failing in the 7.3 when you least expect them too. They're pretty cheap and a quick fix. Keep a spare with you at all times, since you're going to be traveling a good bit.

Intake and exhaust are important. So are the fluids (as stated earlier). Go ahead and do an oil change, and change both fuel and oil filter, that way you can have peace of mind. Get some gauges too, to monitor EGTs, boost, and tranny temps. Other than that, you're pretty much set. Lots of good info on this site. Good luck, and welcome to the ORG!
Old 08-29-2011, 12:04 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
IMO first mod should be to the suspension as stock they just suck...doesn't take a ton of $$ to get the correct suspension on these..will make a huge difference. Ton's of posts about our mods ..PM me if I can help we have everything needed to mod your Ex.

Cary
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 AM

Below are pics of my X. One with the stock wheels and the latter a pic with some 18" Mamba M3's on it. I had a hard time finding pic's of trucks with wheels that appealed to me. You may not like the ones that I have, that's ok
But at least you'll get an idea of the styling. BTW... Walker commercial vehicle muffler(aka BTM). At $60, big bang for your buck exhaust. Enjoy the X!!
Attached Thumbnails
Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?-imag0075.jpg   Bought First PSD today and its a Stock 2002 7.3 Excursion 4x4. IDEAS FOR MODEST MODS?-imag0140.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.