noise turning when taking off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
noise turning when taking off

Hey just purchased a 02 Ex 4x4 7.3 and love it. Just made a 1600 mile camping trip in it and we love it even more. The two biggest issues are

1 it makes a rumble as if the gears in the transfer case are grinding when I take off and go into a turn it is at low speeds and louder or rougher when I am towing??

2 As far as I can see there are no upgrades and i was towing about 6k lbs I only received about 10 mpg

any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had a noise when turning slowly, not noticeable over about 15 or 20. Also came with a loose feel on the steering wheel that didn't bother me but made it so my daughter wandered all over. Turned out to be the steering gearbox which is apparently common. Jack both front tires up and see if there is any play in the shaft of the steering gearbox. If there is most people recommend the RedHead gearbox.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes, it only happens at slow speeds during take off and is almost like a tire is rubbing and yes I do have about 2" of play. A real pain at hwy speed when towing. So where can I get this box, how mauch should it be and you think it will take care of both problems?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm assuming you've done the obvious like making sure the power steering fluid is at the proper levels, that will make a squeal noise. I had more of a "clickingish" noise (I'm not very good at describing noises).

Redhead only sells online unfortunately, mine started making the noise the day before I was leaving on a trip so I wasn't able to get the gearbox I wanted. Steering Gears | Steering Gearbox | Rack and Pinion | Red-Head Steering Gears, Inc.

If it is the gearbox you will see the shaft wobble back and forth a bit when both tires are lifted and someone else is turning the steering. The movement of the shaft may be better described as rotating a couple degrees in both directions. I also had a bad bottom left ball joint as well, when the front of the truck was lifted you could see the tire wobble a bit when it was shaken back and forth from the 12 and 6'o'clock positions. My pitman arm and tie rod ends were fine. I have a friend that has a bad gearbox and a couple bad tie rod ends. Just bet on it being a couple bad parts. If you have noise and excessive travel in the steering one or more parts are bad. Good news is you only have 4 tie rod ends, 4 ball joints, a gearbox and a pitman arm to choose from.

All that stuff is connected so the only thing that is sure is if you ignore it long enough, it will spread to all the parts. If yer not sure what is going on you could see if a place like Meineke does free estimates, just make sure they show you what all needs fixed and why it needs fixed. Not saying they are crooks but we've all ran across a crook before. Plenty of tutorials on line to show you how to fix it all but they can be real knuckle busters. $500 labor is worth quite a few skinned knuckles to me.

Also, I like Moog front suspension parts, they cost a little more but even the guy at O'reilly's started going off on how people buy their junk parts instead of the Moogs. Don't be fooled by the cheap parts saying they have a lifetime warranty, they advertise that heavily but fail to brag that it doesn't cover wear and tear, not sure how else the parts can fail in a way they won't deem to be wear and tear.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

As far as the mods to increase fuel mileage, that's more of a religion thing. Even the people from the same denominations have huge discrepancies in their theology. The main thing to know is no one mod will fix your mileage. I've put a lot of money into fixing my mileage, and it could take a long way to make up for the price in fuel, but it sure is fun. There are some mods that are close to free and actually do appear to help. Look up the ZooDad, Hutch, and Harpoon mods. Probably the biggest increase in mileage will come from a chip, but if you do a chip a breather and exhaust and gauges should be done at the same time or before to deal with increased exhaust gas temperatures. The 6637 mod is probably the best cheap air option. I am going to a DP Tuner F5 chip next. I wouldn't get less than a 4 inch turbo back exhaust. Sometimes when you get into the mod game to help you tow you end up with turbo stall on the stock turbo but 6000 isn't that heavy.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLogger View Post
Yes, it only happens at slow speeds during take off and is almost like a tire is rubbing and yes I do have about 2" of play. A real pain at hwy speed when towing. So where can I get this box, how mauch should it be and you think it will take care of both problems?
I did the Red Head steering box replacement when I replaced my engine and trans. Mine was doing the same as what yours is doing. Well worth the money.

You might replace your steering stabilizer while you are at it.

Last edited by djohn; 08-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the input. I love the forum community because everyone wants to help and most of us have or had the same problems, I'll update later. Can't get to it till next week.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dont be surprised if the whine noise is the p/s pump too (although this doesn't explain the grinding). I thought I had a bad pump, still might, but it seems that its common with these.

Another option for you loose steering, is to tighten up the gear mesh. I am not giving this as advice, only as an option that has been posted by many people on the forum. If you decide to do this you should first make sure that its not from any other parts like ball joints or tie rod ends.

Again I'm not suggesting you go and crank down your steering box cuz you may end up messing it up but it may be worth researching a bit.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Having a guy I know that is a Ford Mech look at it ill follow up later. Not much whining sounds more like the hubs have not completey disengaged and only at take off and louder more violent the steeper the grade or the heavier the load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.