Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Who tows heavy trailers

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wade man 
#1 ·
I am curious what you have done to your EX to tow up to 12K trailer.

Especially the suspension. Does anything HAVE to be done? I understand they are a big vehicle and all, and there are some mods to make them look very cool, I just want to know what I need to do.

I have the engine mods done and believe my tranny will be good also. I installed a BTS valve body and have a 31 row 6.0 cooler to be installed soon. I am also running the Griphen CTS programmer from PHP that does manage the trans also. I will be getting a heavy tow tune from them for when I do tow the car trailer. I also have a 4" MBRP turbo back system and an AFE stage II cold air intake.

The truck runs great, I am concerned about if the suspension needs modified any. CTP sent me a message of a bunch of stuff to make the truck rock solid, but I can't afford what would make me a killer truck.

The trailer I am looking to tow has been pulled several times by an 08 King Ranch truck w/6.4 and an 05 F250 w/6.0 with no problems. My buddy thinks I will have no issues at all that owns the trailer.

Thanks in advance for your inputs,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks like you have everything under control, mechanically.

If anything on the suspension, I would be putting on a set of air bags in the rear.

What's the actual weight of the trailer, 12K is going to put you over the rated towing capacity of that Ex. You're limited to a GCW of 20K, legally speaking. As long as you don't exceed the axle ratings and the trailer has working brakes, most folks won't give you a hard time.

#3 ·
Not sure of the exact weight of the trailer, we are estimating 11-12K. It is a 28' Pace enclosed trailer w/2 spares under floor, generator, tool box loaded and will have a 3600Lb car with a mess of other items inside also. The trailer has very good working brakes. It is in mint condition, very well kept trailer. We will probably be at 20K in weight.

We have a hitch set up with the load leveling bars and 2 anti-sway bars combined to use when towing the rig.

I will look into the air bags, any particular type I need to get or stay away from? I recon they need to be stronger than the ones we use in our cars when racing, but the same theory, lol.

Thanks again,
Mike

#5 ·
I pull my 11-12k (depending on gas/water on boat) boat weekly and have never had any problems. Pull it several thousand miles every year. I always stay around 55 when on interstates and really keep following distances 2-3 times normal. I have a triple axle trailer with disc brakes on each axle. For the truck, I run Firestone airbags, Billstein HD shocks, upgraded all 4 rotors to EBC 3G, and EBC Greenstuff pads, all Amsoil fluids. Tons of engine mods listed in signature. Getting ready to put on new turbo, injectors and a better tuner when I decide on which one to get. Tranny (completely stock) does get warm (has been over 230 for a short time) but it also stays around 170, when not towing, in the summer here. Going to add a derale cooling fan next week to help with the crazy temps we are getting in SC this year.
Before I began pulling, I took my Ex to a frame/axle shop in Charlotte who specializes in HD suspensions to get it looked at. If you do the correct upgrades, some states will let you get your truck re-classified but then you could or would be re-classified for tax/tag/insurance purposes as well. I would definitely recommend finding a shop who specializes in frames/suspensions and get it looked over just for the piece of mind.

#7 ·
230 DEGREES ON THE TRANNY :Shocked:
my tranny runs at about 175* when warmed up and ambient temp is around 100 all summer long here and when towning a 11k pound load with the tractors i have never seen over 195 and they say over 200 and kiss it good bye it all goes down hill from there.

#9 ·
mine?
thanks, sold it a while back...still kicking myself in the *** for it but at the time i couldnt afford to keep it and still buy a new one, and i desperately needed 4x4 at the ranch when it rained

#10 ·
Been towing a Pace Explorer (toy box that holds a car) for years. My EX is completely stock engine trans etc. Fully loaded it was a severe case of tail waggging the dog, to the point of being uncomfortable at any speed over about 60 mph. I could move the car around in the trailer and that would help but not much.

Two things helped a lot. NEW SPRINGS front and rear. I am a car guy and gear head and had I thought Ford would have put such crap springs stock I would have changed them years ago. The EX was made for mom not for work so they put much softer springs in the front and rear. I took it to a local spring shop and the truck is now transformed. Had I not driven it I would not have believed it. I went from 1200 lb lift bars and dual sway to 1000 Lb bars and no sway at all. I actually have a rear sway bar I bought when I was going to air bags and it is still in the box. It that HUGE a difference getting a real set of springs under it. It is a little rougher rider but I backed off the ranchos one or two clicks and that helped.

We put the F350 springs on the front (part number came from this site) and the place stocked them. On the rear they did their own F350 plus and then leveled it. The only problem is the truck ended up lifted about 2 inches over stock and about 3.5 inches from where it was with the dead springs.

Second I had the front end rebuilt including replacing the steering box, did it one step at a time, king pins, then steering stabilizer then tie rods and finally the box. All of it needed and with a 10 year old truck you expect it.

Hope this helps, Richard.

#11 ·
Richard,
I have a 1999 F-350 it has about 145000 miles, what I am wondering is if new springs would help with the sway or body roll that I have. I have been trying unsuccessfully to find the problem here is a list of what I have done.

New E rated tires 285/75/16 Bridgestone
Firestone air shocks
Steering gear box
New rear sway bar with bushings
New bushings in the front
Ball joints both sides
Tie rod ends
Alignment

The only thing I haven’t done is the front shocks and the spring front and back.

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.