Tires and suspension mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tires and suspension mods

Hello all again,

Back for a few more questions please...

I am looking to replace my tires soon as I noticed a feel in the ride was odd and am pretty sure the tires have some strange wear and believe they are the culprit.

I would like to get a slightly bigger tire but do not a crazy price for tires. I have the stock rims and am just fine with them. What tire sizes will fit on them and not cause issues with my drivability?

I am also curious about what mods are recommended for my suspension, as I have done what I feel is plenty for performance for my desires. I am hoping Cary will chime in as he has mentioned to many people on here that the EX's need certain modifications to improve and be safe towing.

I tow a 25' center console boat that weighs around 7K and seems to do just fine right now. I am looking to tow a 28' enclosed car trailer to Bowling Green in October and want to be ready for that. The trailer will probably be 11 to 12K fully loaded.

Here is what I have now...

2000 Ex XLT w/leather seats and 162K miles (purchased stock - 6 months or so ago)

My modifications include:

* - 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/muffler (yes the fluttering is weird - but glad it is normal)

* - PHP Gryphon CTS programmer on the dash - running the level 2 boxed program right now. Upgradable EGT sensor attached. Already paid for a heavy tow tune but waiting to request it until I get everything finished for mods. And am going to get a custom tune to add for everyday driving to maximize performance and economy together.

* - AFE Stage II intake system

* - BTS valve body replacement. Also have a 31 row 6.0 cooler to added soon, it is sitting in my garage waiting to be put on. Just need to get the parts to splice it in. I do not have the cooler in my radiator, so I feel the 31 row is manditory.

The truck runs great overall. I feel almost like a hesitation when doing 70 on the interstate and believe it is the tire ride possibly. They do not look like super condition. I also need to replace the fuel filter, as I do not know when it was done last. I was told by a friend that it could be old and cause a funny feel like I am noticing.

The throttle response if wild. When driving in town, I feel the truck surge when I hit a bump because my foot depresses the gas pedal, that is how touch the pedal is.

This is probably quite enough for now to ask for. Thanks in advance for any and all inputs. It is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 08:40 AM

Lightbulb

I've had 285 Nitto Terra Grapplers "E" rated for years. They're great. I'm about ready to buy another set. However, I'm returning to stock 265's. I'll stay w/ Nitto probably. However, I'm keeping my eye out for Toyos... Whatever you do, go for an "E" rated tire. I have mine inflated to 75psi in all four corners and it helps. I bought my truck w/ 35's. I got rid of those power and fuel consumers. The 285's made a huge difference... There's minimal difference between 265 and 285. However, I'll take the 5%.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Why are you going back to stock?

The cost is not much. Is the power torque reduced enough to not like? Did the ride quality reduce?

I am looking at both sizes on Ebay right now from a place in NC. Pretty reasonable. I just need to get them mounted and balanced.

I am really curious why you are changing back.

Edit... I see that the 285 size is only an 8 ply. Maybe that is why.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by beamer; 07-01-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I went 285 and my speedo is %100 percent accurate now. It was off with the 265s.

Not I lost about .5 mpg but in reality I never had it because my speedo was off. BTW I hand calculate every single time I fill up.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We can get your Ex suspension set up perfect..PM me for a detailed reply with prices..

I'd have your tuner adjusted..seems like you have a extreme tune..or best get a TS chip with 6 tunes from them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.