03 Excursion 40K with 7.3 to tow Jeeps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 Excursion 40K with 7.3 to tow Jeeps

I'm new Excursion owner, had a 2001 F250 with 6 speed and sold with 188K trouble free miles.

Been looking for long time for nice low mile 03 with the 7.3
Found one few months ago. Dark Green Limited with medium Parchment interior.

I have several Jeeps and plan on cross country towing them with the X.
Just got back from 2200 mile round trip towing the Jeep on 38" tires and the performance between 60-70 mph was very lacking. Once over 75 the train was unstoppable.

I lifted with the spring hanger drop in front and add a leaf and blocks from F350 in rear.

Buddy gave me his takeoff wheels 22" with 35" tall Michelins.

After I install the wheel spacers.... will be totally happy with the look.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Next phase I want to increase towing performance/economy in the 80 mph range.

Plan on:

1. Ford AIS cold air intake
2. 4" exhaust
3. Custom program

Been searching/reading and can't find which 4" Excursion exhaust fits best.

Also will be looking for a roof top tent so that will affect 80mph performance as well.

Anyways looks like a great forum and happy to be a new memeber.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 PM

Talking

Very nice looking setup, and welcome! Not sure if your f250 was gas or not, but you w
ill be lacking power no more when you do those 3 upgrades. The 7.3 will come to life. I went from a 14 sec. 0-60 to a 9 sec. 0-60 with those upgrades. Definately should consider monitoring the vitals with some gauges and a valve body to keep your tranny happy also.
I'm glad I got to see what new oem wheels look like without spacers on the ex, 2" inward make a huge difference. Good luck with your mods and enjoying owning the king of suv's.
Does the ride still seem harsh now that its not bouncing off the bumpstops? LP
Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
towing at those speeds isnt exactly wise but i wont go there, some simple mods n a good custom chip will get you set up though..
Old 06-04-2011, 01:20 AM
Emergency Services

Welcome! Good looking rig!
You will be very happy with the AIS, I had it on mine for a long time, they filter superbly (I am in dirty, dusty environments all the time, if you couldn't tell by my sig pic ), but the filters are spendy. For chits and gigs I went with a 6637 style filter and have been very happy with it. A whole kit including everything you need to install and a filter cover was roughly the same cost as a filter for the AIS. They filter just the same and IMO have better flow.

Just throwing that out there.

For programming there are many chioces, I had a hypertech for a long time and was very happy with it. But like many will say a good custom chip will be much better. I went with Cale Thompson for my tuning needs and have been extremely happy with them.

I have a 6 position chip and went with.

1. Stock
2. High idle
3. 60 Tow
4. 80 Tow/Daily
5. 100 Econ
6. 120 Race

Also since you're wanting to run tuning and do some towing, I would without a doubt say get a set of quality gauges. I went with autometer for mine and love them.

Raul@stealthautomotive has great prices on gauges and I believe has a chip/gauge combo that will save you some money, he's a great guy to deal with too.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

X2 on the gauges. Once the custom tunes are done and the motor can breath...........it will be like a new truck. Every now and then I run mine on the stock tune and quickly change it back. I have 4" MBRP turbo back on my rig.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Excursion

Thanks for info guys, this weekend I installed the "Hub Centric" wheel spacers on front and lug centric spacers on rear and locktighted the nuts. Drives out nice and thinking I don't need an alignment.

Funny the bumpstops even on this low mile rig were only thing that needed replacement as they were cracked.

I like the Ford AIS system because it looks factory....but I better check how much the filters are going to cost.

Just tow at 75 mph on interstate, don't want to get run over or be in someone's way...try to go with flow.
My car hauler is aluminum with brakes on both axles and trailer is low to ground with the torsion bar axles. Jeeps don't weigh that much and I feel pretty safe even going faster on downhill sections of interstate's.

I've been looking at the touch screen monitors, and trying to decide if the Bank's IQ system is very good. Not much discussion on them, maybe because I don't know correct name of "touch screen monitors" ?

How did the 4" MBRP turbo back fit? Need any modifications? I was going to install myself and want to hear if was a bolt on deal.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietoremain View Post
towing at those speeds isnt exactly wise but i wont go there, some simple mods n a good custom chip will get you set up though..
Whats wrong with towing at 70?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just bought a 2003 also, much more miles though. Mine has a MBRP 4" turbo back and it fits really well, only tight between the fuel tank and right rear shock, but doesn't ever hit either one.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM

I have a 01 X I bought not to long ago and towed my jeep to moab,ut for a ton of wheeling it did just fine. Little issue coming home on 70. I started to overheat 3 times climbing the mountain. We slowed down to nothing (construction) then had to try to regain speed and anybody that knows 70 from grand junction to the tunnel at the top it is like a 7 percent grade for 50 miles lol.

To the towing at higher speeds- umm I found I got the best mileage right around 65. Yes there were times I was at 80 because the diesel just likes to GO lol. I had not gotten my tunes and gauges yet for this trip tho.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tow machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhallissey View Post
I have a 01 X I bought not to long ago and towed my jeep to moab,ut for a ton of wheeling it did just fine. Little issue coming home on 70. I started to overheat 3 times climbing the mountain. We slowed down to nothing (construction) then had to try to regain speed and anybody that knows 70 from grand junction to the tunnel at the top it is like a 7 percent grade for 50 miles lol.

To the towing at higher speeds- umm I found I got the best mileage right around 65. Yes there were times I was at 80 because the diesel just likes to GO lol. I had not gotten my tunes and gauges yet for this trip tho.

Dang didn't think could overheat a factory tuned 7.3.
I wheeled my other Scrambler in Moab 2001 then made exact drive to CO. I had 2001 Chevy dually with the 454 and boy did that thing burned my credit cards on fuel even way back then.
Been back to the old Texas part of CO (Silverton/Lake City) several times to escape the heat.
Post pics of ur Jeep.

I'm going to install the Ford AIS kit over Fathers Day.

ANyone know about the touch screen guage screens?
Won't be too long before they make double DIN size radio/nav/guage all in one unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.