what does it usually cost..... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what does it usually cost.....

to do the v and b code mods on a 02 excursion

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 05:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cost of the springs (Check Ed the Parts Guy or Tousley for new cost) which oculd be used and highly variable, plus the value of your labor (if done by "self-service").

I did my V codes for $150 (used) and have not done the rears.

IMHO - If you take it to a shop (not a dealer) it's probably a 6 to 8 hour job including both ends.

D
Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 AM

thanks....would def prefer some u
Old 05-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Premium Member

Is this something that would apply to a 2005 Excursion as well, or only the earlier models? The supermotors.net step by step was informative, but not sure it applies to the 05 model as well. I'll have to go measure mine today and see if there is any sag front to rear at the wheel well. I took it thru a construction zone the other day, road was torn up and was rutted dirt, and when crossing did hear what sounded like it hitting the bottom of the suspension. My issue is that my wife is 5' tall and this already isn't the easiest vehicle for her to get into, so I don't want to really jack it up much higher than stock. I am also getting a set of Bilstein shocks for it, that should also help with the ride I've heard. Let me know if this applies to my truck, thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
alha - I suggest you crawl under the front of the EX and check the front end. You do not mention if you have a 4WD or 2 WD. It does make a difference.

On the 4WD versions with leaf springs and the Diesel engines, the front springs do sag over time. As a result you lose the "travel" that would normally be there.

I had less than 3/4 inch on the old springs betwwen the Rubber stops and the top of the springs. When I replaced the old springs wiht the (Used) V codes, it went up to about 1 1/2 inches. I added new shocks and everything was good again.

Yes it raised the front end but in doing so it only "leveled" out the EX front to rear. Most folks agree the EX looks better (when unloaded) with a slight rake Rear to Front. That and the amount of rake is a subjective call and personal preference.

A vehicle that is bottoming out on bumps is quite likley not as safe as one where the suspension works as designed. BTW - My wife is 5' 1 1/2 in and has a similar issue ion getting into the EX. Evne I grab the steering wheel to "hoist" myslef into the drivers seat. We even when so far as to bring along a small 1step step-stool so my Mohter (who is less than 5 ft and 85+ yrs old) could get into the vehcile easier.

Everything is a tradeoff. D
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
FYI we developed the B mod and specialize in Excursion suspension mods and have everything needed. The mods applies to all 4wd Excursions. PM me if I can get you info..

Cary
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply, it is a 4wd diesel, and as I live in the twin cities, and my job takes me all over town, today I ended up in white bear lake, so I stopped in at Towsley Ford. They are a good bunch of guys, & will take as much time as you need to get what you want/need. I ended up buying the 2 front springs, 4 U-bolts and nuts. They were $130 ea. + tax, and with the rest of the hardware, along with a new thermostat and the less expensive fuel pressure spring kit (w/o cover, the Intl version) the total bill came to a little over $400. Not _too_ bad, and if I get them installed and they don't make a difference, they said I could return them. Like I said, nice guys. I plan on measuring my ride height to the wheel wells on both the front and rear tomorrow, and we'll see how it stacks up to the one mentioned on step by step install instructions on the other site. Doesn't look too difficult, he did a good job documenting it, just need to set aside a day to do it. Cary, I'll PM you for more info on available upgrades, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.