lift gain after Excursion spring swap - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lift gain after Excursion spring swap

From what I have read, most people who install V code springs, gain around 1.5” of lift in the front.
My questions is, what is the amount of lift people have experienced in the rear after installing:

unmodified B code springs?
B code + one leaf?
B code + two leaves?
unmodified F code?
F code + one leaf?

For those who reply, please indicated what size block was used along with the spring installation.
If RAS was also part of the set up, please note that as well.

My desire is to install the V code springs on the front of my 2001 7.3l diesel Excursion, and do what is required to end up with the rear sitting 1.5”, or so , above the front.

Thank you.

Last edited by the ponz; 05-02-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Anyone have input for this?

I am looking to go with the RAS system in the rear and heard that it will raise the truck 1 to 1 1/2" in the rear. It would be nice to hear this for sure.

Looking to maybe go with a set of V code springs in the front and that should keep the truck level, maybe?

What else is needed with the V code springs?

Mike
Old 09-12-2011, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Beamer - Like I told you in the other thred, the RAS (both the old style and the new) raised my EX rear end 1 1/2 in. I have pictures if you want them.

D
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

BTW - You should identify if you have a 4X4 and/or diesel engine. It does make a difference.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:45 AM

I did the front v code springs in my 2002, i gained about 1.5". The rear looks like it has a skid of cinder blocks in the back haha. I was going to order a set of b codes for the rear but can not find a set up cheap ones. So for time being im going to be installing a set of 4" lift block to replace the stock 2.5" Also adding a Hellwig rear sway bar. The front v codes made a world of difference.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
We have helped countless Excursion owners over the last 7 years and have everything needed to mod the suspension. PM me and I'll get you all the info.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
BTW - You should identify if you have a 4X4 and/or diesel engine. It does make a difference.
Good call...

7.3 and 4X4

My truck currently sits 1 to 1 1/2" high in the rear.

I think if I put a new set of V code springs in the front with a RAS in the rear with a Hellwig, I should sit about the same pitch as I am now, just a little higher.

Then add a set of shocks and ball joints for the pop on the driver side that just started, darn it. And I will be good to go for a while.

I currently have no sway bar on the rear and the truck feels not too bad unless I go over bumps etc and I feel the swishing like people describe. It just needs stabilization for the size it is.

I have read about people putting the RAS and shocks at the same time and it sounds like I should put the shocks on first and then the RAS. With the RAS raising 1+", it gets difficult to bolt the shocks before cutting the compression band, hmmmm.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks all for your input,
Mike
Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Cary (at CT) is a great source of information and parts. There are also many others on the Forum that have "Suspension" experience. I think it is probably the number one topic if you include "wander" as a suspension issue.

There are also as many differing opinions - and then some - (and objectives) in addressing the front and rear suspension as there are candidates for Presidential nomination!!!

This is just my view and my experience so hopefully others will give alternative views.

The rear sway bar had more positive effect on handling and towing than any other modification I did. I did it first so that may be "clouding" the results a bit. You must take the rear lower shock mounts off to mount the Hellwig ( and I suspect the Ford SD bar as well) since this is a pivot point for the sway bar. If you do shocks first then you should expect them to extend and need to be "re-compressed" when you install the sway bar second.

When I installed V codes, I got the same lift (1 1/2in) in the front. The order that I approached it (again just my singular approach and not necessarily the optimum) was:

1) V codes
2) Front Shocks (same time as V codes)
3) Rear Sway Bar
4) Rear Shocks
5) RAS
6) Tighten Steering Box (carefully and search the forum about that)
7) 285 Michelin LTX
8) Ball joints (To Be done yet)
9) Red Head steering Box (when I find some unallocated funding

My results have met all my objectives and the truck now sits about 1 1/2 to 2 in higher in the rear when empty, rides well, handles well when empty or towing, has lost most (if not all) of the wander) , and is absolutely a "perfect" tow vehicle for me.

D
Old 10-23-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
Cary (at CT) is a great source of information and parts.
X2 on the fact that CT Performance (Cary) was great in helping me get through my V/B mod upgrade on the 2000 Ex.

I went the expensive route and bought everything new - the only issue I had was with the swaybar mounts for the rear (got the wrong saddle clamps and bushings the first go round) got the right clamp (5") but they gave me the 3" bushings and brackets.

Also - since I had used the stock sway bar I had to remove and cut the shock mount perch on the drivers side to mount the sway bar brackets - where I believe the Hellwig will utilize the stock shock mount bracket without having to do that and all told be a bit cheaper.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What size tire can you get under your Ex with just this lift ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.