Excursion Rear Entertainment System w/ Aftermarket HU - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Excursion Rear Entertainment System w/ Aftermarket HU

So I bought my Excursion almost a month ago and it came with the RES. Like most others on here I couldn't figure out how to get it to work with an aftermarket headunit but after some research on trial I have it working and wanted to help out everyone else.

The square factory connector is the one with the power and audio wires for the RES. The two most important wires are the green/black and solid black, the green/black goes gets connected to the accesory power wire and the black goes to ground. This in itself will allow you to watch the dvd but the IR headphones must be used.

Now to the audio, these are setup to act like RCA cables, each side has a positive and a negative. Most new headunits have auxilary inputs that use RCA inputs so I put RCA connectors on the end of the factor wires.

For the audio wires:
light green/red - left dvd audio out (-)
violet - left audio in (+)
orange/black - right audio out (-)
grey - right audio in (+)

From this I had one RCA connector with light green/violet and then another with orange/ black and grey.

From there it is just a matter of turning the headunit to the proper input and it worked. Once I found the wire color codes it only took me about an hour to actually wire it up and most of that time was spent untangling the previous owners mess.

I hope this helps anyone that is having this issue out, if you have any questions I'll answer the best I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome thanks!

I did some digging today and found a thread
stereo install and keeping rear seat entertainment

and another

Aftermarket HU and Keeping the rear entertainment system

So I have ordered a Metra 70-5520AV.

I will add any other findings when I do my install once I get mine back.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:10 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
update on your install Tuckman?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace2peep View Post
update on your install Tuckman?
Still waiting to get the Ex back from the shop, I get it today or Monday. Even if I did get it today I would not be able to start the install till next Friday with appointments, hockey tournaments and work. Sorry bout the long wait, life got in the way of all my fun.
I will post when I do start the job, I am waiting for some of the install components to come in the mail from ebay.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
any news on the install?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM

A seller on Ebay sent the wrong harness so I had to wait for a local shop to get one. I have it in my hands (Metra 70-5520AV), I am going to start soldering wires and doing the install.

There will be a final answer tonight.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM

So far I know that the Metra harness 70-5520AV does not work in my Ex, I have the rear entertainment system but not the audiophile system. I have a feeling that this may be the difference in the harness working or not. Still got some digging to do.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM

I got it done.

I did like the OP said and wired up the RCA's properly and ran keyed power to the Green/Black wire from the same 20 pin harness.

What had me worried was looking at the factory service manual wiring diagrams the +'s for the rear speakers were labeled for the RES control panel. After looking further into the wiring diagrams the +'s for the rear speakers go thru the control panel and split up there for the middle and rear speakers.

I ended up using the Scosche FD16B speaker wiring harness, Metra 95-5817 dash kit and Axxess ASWC steering control interface. The ASWC is just awesome I had to run keyed power, ground and steering control wire from the same 20 pin harness to get it hooked up and working. It auto detected the Excursion's steering controls and the Clarion deck as soon as it powered up, YES no programming like the PAC SWI-JACK! Also as a side note when I used the Scosche wiring harness the dimmer positive and dimmer negative are opposite of what they should be.

There was some trimming I had to do with my rotary tool to get the deck to fit but nothing major, 5 minutes at the max. I spent more time looking for the darn tool than I did using it!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Oh yeah, the deck I installed was a Clarion NX500 and also put in Sirius satellite tuner (Sirius SCC1) that hooks directly to the Clarion.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:36 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckman View Post
I got it done.

I did like the OP said and wired up the RCA's properly and ran keyed power to the Green/Black wire from the same 20 pin harness.

What had me worried was looking at the factory service manual wiring diagrams the +'s for the rear speakers were labeled for the RES control panel. After looking further into the wiring diagrams the +'s for the rear speakers go thru the control panel and split up there for the middle and rear speakers.

I ended up using the Scosche FD16B speaker wiring harness, Metra 95-5817 dash kit and Axxess ASWC steering control interface. The ASWC is just awesome I had to run keyed power, ground and steering control wire from the same 20 pin harness to get it hooked up and working. It auto detected the Excursion's steering controls and the Clarion deck as soon as it powered up, YES no programming like the PAC SWI-JACK! Also as a side note when I used the Scosche wiring harness the dimmer positive and dimmer negative are opposite of what they should be.

There was some trimming I had to do with my rotary tool to get the deck to fit but nothing major, 5 minutes at the max. I spent more time looking for the darn tool than I did using it!
What did the Axxess run you and where did you get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.