Drivetrain vibration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drivetrain vibration

So I just bought a 2000 Ex a couple of weeks ago. 200K miles,4x4, 4'' lift(front leafs say Rancho on them so I believe its a Rancho lift), 315/75r16 tires on stock wheels....I've already rotated/balanced found 1 slightly bent wheel. Tires all balanced good....starting @ about 50mph you can start to feel it, about 65mph it gets the worst and smooths out again until you hit about 75...then it gets worse until about 80 then smooths out. 80 and above you don't feel it so much, but you can tell it's there and still "hear" it. To me, it feels exactly like ujoints but I've already replaced them with no change at all. The vibration is throttle sensitive. As soon as you let out of throttle, it goes completely away. I don't have any special tools available to me to detect vibrations like a dealer would have...but one thing I noticed, my old F250 had I'm pretty sure the same driveshaft, and the slipyoke on the 250 was more towards the rear(driveshaft has flanges on both sides..). I could be mistaken about that though, but somehow could the driveshaft being backwards cause a vibe like this? I'm 99% sure the yokes are phased correctly because it looks like the ujoints I replaced were stock and never removed. I would figure though if it were a driveshaft balance issue the vibration would be constant and wouldn't go away when out of the throttle. FWIW....I'm pretty sure the previous owners were chasing this vibration as I bought it with the front driveshaft missing. All fluid levels/conditions checked out good and I couldn't feel any looseness in any bearings anywhere. Any good suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check drive line angle
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update....never did check the driveline angle, but I finally bought and installed a front driveshaft. Took the rear driveshaft completely out and test drove....vibration is completely gone. I jacked up the rear end, spun the tires and spun the yoke....can feel no looseness/harshness anywhere....so I assume my rear driveshaft is junk. I'll update again should I ever figure out exactly what my problem is.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:07 PM

I chased vibrations for a while until I installed some 2 shims in the rear...assuming your lift replaced the stock lift blocks like mine did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.