Had an accident need advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had an accident need advice

Long story short i went through a puddle at about 10 miles an hour. I saw a thin layer of ice on top of it didnt realize that this thin layer of ice was a huge blocks of ice. the ice shelf broke under the weight of the Ex and the steering wheel ripped violently out of my hand and it pulled hte truck at almost a 90 degree angle out of the pit. After i got out i need to keep the steering wheel turned left to go straight.

Afterwards i took it to a shop with a very knowledgeable superduty tech. We spent about 2hrs looking through the front of the truck. We checked everything from the ball joints to the steering joints and linkage. We didnt find anything bent or broken but after the tech measured the axle it had shifted over to the passenger side about 1 inch. He thinks that the impact might have extended the track bar but right now its inconclusive.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds to me like you just need to loosen the adjuster on the track bar turn the rotator and put the wheel back to center , have had the wheel turn 45- 90 degrees off before when climbing before and putting a hard turn to the wheels and this cured the problem for me. might wanna check into an alignment when fixed as well
Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagle1 View Post
sounds to me like you just need to loosen the adjuster on the track bar turn the rotator and put the wheel back to center , have had the wheel turn 45- 90 degrees off before when climbing before and putting a hard turn to the wheels and this cured the problem for me. might wanna check into an alignment when fixed as well
Would that have moved the front diff and stuff over to the passenger side by an inch??
Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 AM

sorry , didnt read where the entire diff had shifted. Seems like everything connects thru the leafsprings to the body. Try getting the pavement wet and pulling straight thru it and see if the rear tires follow the same path as the steers. would think something broke loose to give that much extra to one side or tweaked the front of the frame
Old 12-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
sorry , didnt read where the entire diff had shifted. Seems like everything connects thru the leafsprings to the body. Try getting the pavement wet and pulling straight thru it and see if the rear tires follow the same path as the steers. would think something broke loose to give that much extra to one side or tweaked the front of the frame
what should i pull straight through? Are these frames easy to tweak?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless_Ex View Post
what should i pull straight through? Are these frames easy to tweak?
Drove the ex through wet pavement and the rear follows the front. What does this tell me?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:39 PM

sounds like its tracking right then , meaning the frames not out in the front. Is it driving right ? Any problems other than the steering wheel being 90 degrees out ? If so loosen the adjuster on the track bar, put a piece of tape on the steering wheel where center should be and turn the wheel back to center with the adjuster on the track bar. Get a 4 wheel alignment (front and rear) , if somethings far out of whack it will show in the alignment. I think you just tweaked where center on the wheel is and just need to adjust it back and watch your tires for uneven wear or go get an alignment and still keep an eye on the tires wear to make sure something else is not off.

I have done the same type of thing before when 4x4 climbing and got the tires a little off centered and gassed it to just have the wheel ripped loose from my hands. When done the steering is 45 degrees off or so and just adjusting it back to center has corrected the problem with no negative wear later. I always rotated tires at 7500 miles and a front end alignment every 25k or so as well though. Never measured where the front end was sitting , would seem you would have to tweak the spring eye's or the frame somehow to get the diff to move
Old 12-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
sounds like its tracking right then , meaning the frames not out in the front. Is it driving right ? Any problems other than the steering wheel being 90 degrees out ? If so loosen the adjuster on the track bar, put a piece of tape on the steering wheel where center should be and turn the wheel back to center with the adjuster on the track bar. Get a 4 wheel alignment (front and rear) , if somethings far out of whack it will show in the alignment. I think you just tweaked where center on the wheel is and just need to adjust it back and watch your tires for uneven wear or go get an alignment and still keep an eye on the tires wear to make sure something else is not off.

I have done the same type of thing before when 4x4 climbing and got the tires a little off centered and gassed it to just have the wheel ripped loose from my hands. When done the steering is 45 degrees off or so and just adjusting it back to center has corrected the problem with no negative wear later. I always rotated tires at 7500 miles and a front end alignment every 25k or so as well though. Never measured where the front end was sitting , would seem you would have to tweak the spring eye's or the frame somehow to get the diff to move

Thanks for the advice man i really appreciate it! I just got an alignment yesterday and the tech was stumped. The alignment was all in spec just the steering wheel off center. Still doesnt explain the diff shifted over to the passenger side though. Very odd!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:25 PM

totally agree , seems strange to me as well. Maybe the guys measurement was off an inch and the diff is really where it should be and all you did was knock the steering wheel off center. Ford Tough right !!!
Old 12-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
totally agree , seems strange to me as well. Maybe the guys measurement was off an inch and the diff is really where it should be and all you did was knock the steering wheel off center. Ford Tough right !!!
Drove the truck about 100 miles today and from what i can tell it pulls to the right a tad bit, steering doesnt have an 'on center' feel while turning it constantly feels like its trying to correct itself, and over certain bumps at speed steering wheel shakes pretty hard. I can tell that things have been moved over because the rubber bushings have been pushed over and they have exposed basically clean metal. What ever it is i hope to god its not expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.