might be buying a FILTHY Excursion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
might be buying a FILTHY Excursion

The body's in good condition; nothing besides dented bumpers and a bad grill that needs replacing; the rest of the body and paintwork is excellent, and so are the almost new Michelins.
Truck has 150K miles and is a 2001 with 7.3L. Started right up and idled fine; just like the other 3 PSDs I've had.

Engine oil is really black, tranny fluid is nice and red, coolant nice and green. BUT...Air filter was just covered with an oily mess; looks like it hadn't been changed in years. I saw some oil on the turbo intake tube as well.

My question is where the oil's coming from. Will the engine suck it from somewhere if the air filter is filthy? Maybe it's diesel fluid mixed with dust and just looks like oil?

What's the best test to see if an engine or turbo is on the downhill slide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM

In the intake, its crankcase vapors causing the dirt. I don't remember if the vent goes to the filter or straight to the intake, but the filter likely has oil and road dirt.
EDIT: as for the question about the turbo, grab the impeller and see if it moves in-out, side-side, up-down more than slightly. As for the motor, check for blowby by placing the oil filler cap upside down on the filler neck, if it doesn't blow off, the motor is good, though it may vibrate off.

Last edited by powerhoghp; 10-05-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Neat trick on the filler cap! I'll post results later today.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM

OK, I bought the truck...2000 Ex with 152K miles and 7.3L for under $7500. I'll be needing to replace grill, headlamp and rear bumper...and clean a real nasty interior that looks like she lived in the truck for awhile...which is why is was pretty cheap.

I stood and BS'd with the lot owner for 15 minutes while the truck idled..and the oil fill cap never moved...purred like a kitten.

However, my wife followed me home and said that the truck was spewing smoke on acceleration. ??

It hasn't been driven in 3 months; had minimal fuel in the tank, I'd removed the air filter 'cause it was so dirty. Would those things cause the smoke?

I have the truck's oil draining tonight and will be changing the oil and the fuel/water separator and air filter. Adding new fuel, too. Do you guys think this will solve the smoking?

If not, what else do you suggest?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM

What color smoke?
When I bought my Ex, the previous owner had dogs and nasty little kids that dirtied/stunk up the truck bad (it still stunk after several cleanings). I ripped out the carpet and put in molded vinyl flooring, which gave me the chance to clean the seats really well since they were out of the truck...just and idea.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Not sure about smoke color. When we stopped I had her punch the throttle while I looked at the exhaust and...well, not much of nothing. Maybe she's comparing her Jag to a diesel??

The interior is definitely on the path that you took. I'm removing all the seats, center console, etc and then taking the whole floormat out of the truck to pressure wash it several times.

I found skins for the front seats for $200 so they'll look a lot better than they do now.

What to do about a steering wheel? I don't want an overwrap...either new leather on it or a wood wheel. Any ideas on who and where to get one?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 AM

Just in case the carpet doesn't clean up like you want (I shampooed mine 4 times, then steam cleaned it 4 times and it still smelled like dog) this place has real good prices. As for the steering wheel, I got Wheelskins cover from here. It laces over the original leather and makes the wheel a bit thicker, which I prefer.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:45 AM

The good news keeps on coming. Carpet isn't tan; it's coffee-colored, and the PO must have been mostly a coffee and coke drinker, so pressure-washing got the front carpets completely clean. Rear carpet has stains, but my liner will cover that and, besides...it's a truck for hauling, not a showpiece!

I have a line on seat skins for the front seats for $250/pair, so when they get in, the seat wear and tear will be gone. Steering wheel is nasty; trying to decide if I want an overlay or if I want to spring for a new wheel with wood on it.

Anybody have experience with swapping wheels? Is this a body shop project because of the air bag?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me know what you decide on the steering wheel, mine needs replaced and/or covered as well. You can buy a new one from Ford for a little over $200. I beleive I looked at that EX (and your old Limited) before picking mine up a little over a week ago.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:46 AM

When I get the Ex sorted out, I'll make a decision on the wheel. If it's a keeper, I'll probably get one of those with wood. If I sell it, an overwrap will be fine to keep the costs down.

Desperado, did you look at this truck at the towing company? Engine compartment was filthy...a line to the oil cooler had a small leak at the swage. If found that out while I was cleaning the engine compartment and had all the front end stuff removed for replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.