Problems with Excursion transmissions? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeast Penn.
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Problems with Excursion transmissions?

So I've been looking at these for sale the past few weeks, seen a few with new transmissions. Is this a problem with the 7.3L ones? Are there any telltale signs when looking at one?
freesoul is offline  
post #2 of 13 Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
BraveHeartCalif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 188
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have yours rebuilt by the best John Woods is my suggestion.
BraveHeartCalif is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,395
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would look into a BTS do it once and be done

Early 99 F350-Sold
01 Excursion-Sold
98.5 Cummins-Sold
02 F250- Stock


My Hero
Goose is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeast Penn.
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question

So the 7.3L transmission is the weak link? I am looking at trucks between 90-140K so if it hasnt been rebuilt I assume it will need to be and probably depending on if it has been used for towing will be sooner?
freesoul is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
djh
Member
 
djh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 64
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
So the 7.3L transmission is the weak link? I am looking at trucks between 90-140K so if it hasnt been rebuilt I assume it will need to be and probably depending on if it has been used for towing will be sooner?
With 90-140K miles on the clock you can pretty much count on needing the transmission, water pump, and up pipes needing attention. Granted there are some lucky ones out there that get more miles out that stuff.

I bought my Excursion with 120K and the transmission was shifting funny when locking the torque converter and it had leaking up pipes...but because of these things I was able to get a good deal on the truck and use the savings to build up the transmission the way I wanted along with adding a 6.0 tranny cooler. Keep in mind that not all transmission rebuilds are the same if you are looking at one that says it has been rebuilt already.

The up pipes and the water pump are easy fixes but also something that you should check out when buying a 7.3 with that kind of mileage.

6637 DIY Filter
4R100 w/ Transgo Tugger and billet converter.
ISSPRO boost, trans, EGT on A-pillar.
DP-Tuner F5 chip: Stock, hi-idle 1200 rpm, 60 tow, 80 tow, decel, 60 eco, 80 eco, 100 performance, 120 race, 140 extreme, 140 aggressive
Wicked Wheel
djh is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeast Penn.
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
I would look into a BTS do it once and be done


Quote:
Originally Posted by djh View Post
With 90-140K miles on the clock you can pretty much count on needing the transmission, water pump, and up pipes needing attention. Granted there are some lucky ones out there that get more miles out that stuff.

I bought my Excursion with 120K and the transmission was shifting funny when locking the torque converter and it had leaking up pipes...but because of these things I was able to get a good deal on the truck and use the savings to build up the transmission the way I wanted along with adding a 6.0 tranny cooler. Keep in mind that not all transmission rebuilds are the same if you are looking at one that says it has been rebuilt already.

The up pipes and the water pump are easy fixes but also something that you should check out when buying a 7.3 with that kind of mileage.
What are the 'up pipes'?

Should these transmissions shift smoothly or sharply? Any other tips when test driving one?
freesoul is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Hemicross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intercooler piping, hot and cold side are up-pipes. I bought my X with 205,000 miles, tranny seemed a little sluggish and slow on shift transition, I now have 212,000 miles original transmission never rebuilt, and my major shifting problems didn't start till I put a tuner on and hauled 8,000 lbs behind it, either way getting a performance rebuild tomorrow with a billet converter from a local shop, said he would throw in a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty on it also

2000 Limited 7.3 PSD 4x4 Excursion, 210,000 miles, S&B cold air, 4" TBE straight pipe, add a leafs, pro comp shocks, hellwig rear sway bar, recon smoked led cab lights, limo tint, 1-piece headlights, 8000k hid's, PHP phoenix chip, Firestone ride rite airbags
Hemicross is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
powerhoghp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicross View Post
Intercooler piping, hot and cold side are up-pipes.
WRONG.... Up-pipes are the exhaust tubing leading to the turbo. Over time they crack or come loose and can kill power and bring diesel fumes into the cab.
powerhoghp is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Hemicross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhoghp View Post
WRONG.... Up-pipes are the exhaust tubing leading to the turbo. Over time they crack or come loose and can kill power and bring diesel fumes into the cab.
Lol, excuse me, I thought those were called hedders, no need to get offended

2000 Limited 7.3 PSD 4x4 Excursion, 210,000 miles, S&B cold air, 4" TBE straight pipe, add a leafs, pro comp shocks, hellwig rear sway bar, recon smoked led cab lights, limo tint, 1-piece headlights, 8000k hid's, PHP phoenix chip, Firestone ride rite airbags
Hemicross is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
powerhoghp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Posts: 1,256
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicross View Post
Lol, excuse me, I thought those were called hedders, no need to get offended
Not offended, lol... Close, but the up-pipes are the link from the headers to the turbo.
powerhoghp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome