Glo Plug replacement - whole set or just faulty one? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glo Plug replacement - whole set or just faulty one?

Hi all, have a question re glo plugs on 2001 Excursion 172,000 miles.

Glo plug # 3 is bad - can i replace just the faulty one or (as local Ford says) - must replace e them all for $500.

Would prefer to save $450 if I can

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner View Post
Hi all, have a question re glo plugs on 2001 Excursion 172,000 miles.

Glo plug # 3 is bad - can i replace just the faulty one or (as local Ford says) - must replace e them all for $500.

Would prefer to save $450 if I can

thanks
Are you doing the work yourself? You can get the glow plugs pretty cheap. If you are having them do the work, I would at least replace all the glow plugs on the side that has the bad one. If not and you have another one go bad, you will have to pay the labor all over again.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

I replaced all the plugs on the pass side when I had the last one go bad. I'll do the driver's side later that side looks like a pain. (i already bought them)
I'm good with a wrench, but a diesel newb and it wasn't too bad. pull the valve covers and swap them out. no big deal.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glo Plug replacement -

thanks for the feed back - i will take your advice and replace one side at least.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Most of the labor is getting the "valve covers" off and as pointed out the Driver's side is a PITA due to the "junk" in the way.

I have a bad GP at #! and #8 (so one on each bank but on opposite ends of the engine). I went ahead and bought a full set of 8 GP's (you can get them pretty cheaply but make usre you get Ford (ZD-11 or F4TZ-12A342-BAfor the 7.3L), as I have heard of problems with some of the "aftermarket" versions). I bought a whole set for $75. I have not tackled the job but all the estimates says 5 to 6 hours for both sides and all eight.

Also think about the interanal Electrical harness (F81Z-9D930-AB) that is under the cover as well. It get's "old" and stiff with age and heat so if you do have "connector" problems later, the labor would have to be redone. The harness is about $85.

I would reccomend if you crack one side, do them all and the harness. Provide your own parts and you can save a few $$$.

D
Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

are there any special tools need it ? my scaner is telling me 1-3-5-7 are bad I guess those are in the passenger side? I be thankful for any feedback also.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm no expert but my gut feeling is if all the glow plugs are "bad" on the passenger side, it's probably your wiring harness. I've had to replace my wiring harness under the valve cover. It cooks and the insulation breaks down...so after a few years it starts to short and your truck runs like crap.

That harness controls the glow plugs and injectors and will ruin your day.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I agree w Escalade* - it's likely your harness if it reports all four (4) on the same bank.

Look for part # F81Z-9D930-AB. I got mine from K-MansParts (Rick Hill, SC)for $48. PartsGuyEd should be able to help you out as well.

I've not done the work but have one bad on each side so I ordered a full set of plugs and the harnesses. If I'm going to spend the time to crack the Valve covers, I only want to do it once in a blue moon!!!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

ok now the glow-plugs are under the valves cover,? and the harnesses all I need to do is just pull and snaps off? This is my first ford and runs bad when is cold but after a few minutes stars running fine, I looked a the harnesses and it looks ok but who knows
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There are two (2) wiring harnesses for each side or bank of cylinders. There is an external wiring harness that you can see OUTSIDE the valve covers and then there is also one INSIDE or underneath the valve covers. They are connected togther via a plug at the base of the valve cover (where the gasket would be).

The external harness is not exposed to the same temperatures and demands as the interanal one. So the outside harness could be good but the problem might be in the connector between the two harnesses or in the internal harness which feeds power to the injectors and the Glow plugs.

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.