Price Variation by Season? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Price Variation by Season?

I was hoping someone with more knowledge then I, with regards to the automotive market, could help me figure something out.

I'm in the market for a new car. I've decided on a 2000-2003 Ford Excursion with a 7.3L, with hopefully less then 75k miles. I've been pricing for awhile, but am now in a position to buy.

Anyway, over the last two years it seems during the cooler months, prices were at their low point, and are now currently at their highest. I've always been finicky getting exactly what I wanted with a car. I once drove 8 hours to pick up a 98 Cobra. I'm willing to go even further for this, so my pool of listing is large, making this observation unlikely to be a fluke. The variation is also rather large. The last two winters, I could have picked up what I'm looking for, for about $15,000. Right now, with that mileage, around $23,000. That's a pretty big difference.

My question is, what is the best explanation for this? Is this reflective of diesel fuel prices? Is it simply because the summer months are when people take the most long distance trips, and this vehicle is ideal for those? The economy is worse, so I doubt the low prices the last two winters are from people who just couldn't afford a gas guzzler.

I'm in no rush, especially if prices will drop by 25%-50% four months from now. Is there anyone with an informed opinion that could advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 AM

You also have to remimber that two years ago this truck was only out of production for two years. So with breakdowns and accidents there are even fewer available today then when you saw them for 15K. My guess is that the excursion will become like the old body style powerstroke and bring even more money in years to come.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine had 191 on the clock and i got it for 13.5 which I am happy with since it was plum bone stock all highway miles and SPOTLESS interior. And it will be very hard to find one in that year range with that mileage keep in mind a powerstroke at 100k miles is barely broke in. But good luck with the search.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Mine had 191 on the clock and i got it for 13.5 which I am happy with since it was plum bone stock all highway miles and SPOTLESS interior. And it will be very hard to find one in that year range with that mileage keep in mind a powerstroke at 100k miles is barely broke in. But good luck with the search.
I would feel comfortable buying one with 100k-150k miles on it. The problem is trying to explain to my wife how a car with that many miles on it is worth $15k.
That and she's a chevy girl
Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 AM

Sounds like you have bigger problems than finding a truck. All kidding aside, I also had to give my wife the 100k miles in a diesel is not a bad thing talk. She thinks its the same if its gas or diesel and we know thats just not true.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker444 View Post
Sounds like you have bigger problems than finding a truck. All kidding aside, I also had to give my wife the 100k miles in a diesel is not a bad thing talk. She thinks its the same if its gas or diesel and we know thats just not true.

Fortunately, she's a car girl. If she gets a flat, instead of calling me to help, she'll just come home and tell me she broke her old spare tire swap record. She just doesn't have any experience with diesels. It shouldn't take long to teach her.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
Just curious when did you sell yours and was it a southern vehicle?

I can't stand dealing with these scumbag car dealers, just talked to one that did not have the mileage listed on autotrader and I asked for the carfax and he kept telling me how nice it was, he is supposed to fax it. Asking $23K+ with 133K miles, KBB shows $17.5 I informed him after he told me that I have to pay for a 7.3L and mentioned KBB.....

I think a far bigger factor than season is the price of diesel, 2 years ago when it peaked above $5 gallon they were giving these trucks away. I wish it would go back up again....
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesoul View Post
Just curious when did you sell yours and was it a southern vehicle?

I can't stand dealing with these scumbag car dealers, just talked to one that did not have the mileage listed on autotrader and I asked for the carfax and he kept telling me how nice it was, he is supposed to fax it. Asking $23K+ with 133K miles, KBB shows $17.5 I informed him after he told me that I have to pay for a 7.3L and mentioned KBB.....

I think a far bigger factor than season is the price of diesel, 2 years ago when it peaked above $5 gallon they were giving these trucks away. I wish it would go back up again....
Try a private seller. Here's one down south for you that's more reasonable. If this thing was black, I'd be all over it.

Quote:
2000 Ford Excursion - Limited Edition 4x4 7.3 Diesel

2000 Ford Excursion - Limited Edition 4x4 7.3 Diesel - $15500 (Apopka, FL)
Date: 2010-07-27, 10:02PM EDT
Reply to: sale-92nvd-1867092505@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Ford Excursion Limited Edition 4x4 - 7.3 Diesel -

144,500 miles

6" lift with 35X w/16 Pro Comp Rims, with less than 2,000 miles

Recent work new fuel pump, alternator and (2) Optima Red Tops

Ranch Hand Bumper

Lift and Rims both Pro Comp

$15.500 - OBO - Needs to move fast!

Call (407)716-4552

Additional Pictures at Pictures by gtwelsh - Photobucket

# Location: Apopka, FL
# it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1867092505
Old 07-28-2010, 08:30 AM

yeah I looked at that one. Prefer stock and not big tires like that one. Still waiting on my finances to line up which should be within the next week but I'm still keeping my eyes open for now.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 AM

Thumbs up

I pulled the trigger on an 03 Eddie Bauer with 138K miles, originally a Texas truck so the undercarriage is in great shape. Drives perfect. I'll pick it up on Wed and post pics. Asking $18,900 Final price $17,300. No mods whatsoever, has not even towed anything large (no brake controller)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.