Factory tow package? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Factory tow package?

Noob here looking to get into a 7.3L Excursion soon. I've been looking at two, both at the same dealer.

2002 Limited 4x4
140,435 miles
$15,590

2001 Limited 4x4
198,582 miles
$11990

Both have the limited package and 4x4. The 2001 has towing mirrors, but the 2002 has the standard paddle style mirrors. I'm assuming that they were on the trucks from the factory and not swapped in.

My question is about the factory tow package from Ford. I would expect the larger mirrors to be part of the tow package, but only one truck has them. Should I assume that the 2002 with paddle morrors does not have the tow package? What else should I look for. What else would be missing without the tow package.

I know that for a few hundred dollars, I can swap out the morrors, but I'm concerned about the "other stuff" that comes with the tow package. Fill me in here. I'm still new to Excursions, but I've spent the past few months reading a TON of info on this site. Can't seem to find an answer on this one though.

I'm looking at excursions because I've outgrown my 2002 Dodge Dakots V8. I need more room - newly married with a baby due in September. I tow my offroad toy - a Suzuki samurai on a 16' trailer. Total loaded trailer weight is probably around 4500-5000 lbs, give or take. The Dakota does OK, but space is limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Excursions came standard with a receiver hitch and trailer connection. It is part of the "safety" system. (To keep Prius drivers from driving under the rear end). The connector for a trailer brake controller is also standard. The tow mirrors were an option.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads...ingstoknow.pdf

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...2/excurscd.pdf
Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason812 View Post
The Excursions came standard with a receiver hitch and trailer connection. It is part of the "safety" system. (To keep Prius drivers from driving under the rear end). The connector for a trailer brake controller is also standard. The tow mirrors were an option.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads...ingstoknow.pdf

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...2/excurscd.pdf
Thanks for the links. There's bunch of useful information on the Fleet-Ford web site. Was even able to download the owners manual.

So it looks like ALL Excursions came standard with the HD towing package. The larger towing mirrors, however, were an option.
That's exactly what I was hoping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.