First long road trip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile First long road trip

Couple of weeks ago, my dad, brother, and myself left to shoot some prairie dogs. 1100+ mile round trip pulling my dad's little pickup bed trailer, with guns, scopes, coolers, BBQ pit, shooting benches etc. All the essentials for camping. I don't know what the trailer weighed but it's light, maybe 2000-2500lbs loaded at the most. It still has the pinion gear in the axle and 30x9.5 mud tires (we use old tires for little trialers). I normally drive 65 but this was a 9 hour trip one way so I set the cruise at 70 and let her eat. Fighting the wind the whole way and still got 15mpg on the dot for the whole trip which I didn't think was bad at all for rolling on 285's. I was very please with how the truck performed during this little trip. I'm sure we could have squeezed 16 or better but it would have added an hour each way to the drive. Don't know why Ford quit making these because I like mine more and more each time I use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 02:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice, haha, i took mine on a 1,500 mile round trip after i put the exhaust and intake in along with the hellwig rear sway bar and add a leaf springs front and back along with a new steering gear, ran perfect the whole way with no problems and i had the inside packed to the max, no trailer though. i think i ran about 16.5 mpg about 75-80 mph but im running stock 265/75-16 tires at 70 psi.

im about to haul a 13,000 gvwr trailer the 1,500 miles in about two weeks, i just added 1 piece headlights with hid's, a PHP 6 position chip, and firestone ride rite airbags, dont know how much the trailer weighs empty but its an 18 foot dual axle 8 lug trailer, pretty heavy duty, I actually used it to pick up my excursion from colorado and towed it with my dodge, think it was about 850 miles with the X on the trailer

i just noticed my avatar has a picture of the excursion on the trailer, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.