7.3L Diesel - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L Diesel

I finally sold 2 of my trucks and am looking to get an excursion. I think the V-10 is a bad idea, what kind of gas mileage are some of you squeezing out of your excursions with a nice tune driving conservatively?

Also, what is a safe mileage X to look for without having to worry about digging into it any time soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There will be some investment regardless of mileage unless the previous owner has done the upkeep. Things to watch for are documented well on this forum (Tie rods, ball joints, shocks, etc. AKA the usual). I have an '02 7.3L that I bought w/ 132k mi on it. I did not have to do anything to the engine but you can see the investment in mods in my signature.

A good tune makes a huge difference. I have gotten as good as 20+ mpg on the highway keeping the speed down below 70 , flat terrain and conservative drivng w/ a tune. Around town is a different story. Getting 4 tons fo steel moving takes some juice!!!

D
Old 06-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply. Tie rods are no biggie and I planned on adding a 8" lift and some bigger tires so the rest is getting changed out anyways.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not looking at a tranny thats going to hand grenade and an AC unit that will take a dump at 100K etc.

Money pit for my pleasure is one thing. Money pit due to breakage sucks.

Anywho, with a very conservative tune I should be able to squeeze out 20+. that settles it for me. Thanks guys
Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MY WIFE HAS 03 ALL STOCK EXCEPT K&N & SUPERCHIP MID LEVEL WENT FROM 13 MPG HWY TO 31.9 & 23 CTY THAT IS WHEN SHE AINT MISS BEHAVN SHE WOULDNT HAVE NOTN ELSE WE LOVE IT
Old 06-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Don't you worry about it

31.9??? Yea Right
Old 06-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea that is right and thats not goin by the intell system i have a good friend that has a 2000 he said same thing till he put in super chip he had another chip in it but got supchip and laughs all the way past the fuel stop
Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I too find these numbers to be difficult to beleive but while filling up a couple of weeks ago, another EX came in to fill up and had similiar numbers to report with their Super Chip in their7.3L.

Makes you step back and wonder .......................................
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
I bet thats the lie o meter. With tunes my dads 6oh was reading 27 or so sometimes. Hand calculated was 19. And downhill I hit 99mpgs once. I think thats a record.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

17 mpg hand calculated is the best I have ever gotten in my Ex. That was all highway running 2000 RPM's. Around town is between 12 and 14. I also run a Superchips programmer.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to bnjmnalan
I wouldn't put too much weight in those high mileage claims. Some people aren't too honest with themselves. I only have an AIS intake (no chip yet) and have never seen over 16 mpg highway and usually 11-13 mph around town (45 mph max with several frequent stops). Sure I could reset my computer while driving 65 mph in optimal driving conditions and get great numbers, but lets be realistic. And I hope to decide on a chip this summer and improve my mpg but to expect mid 20's on the highway is stretching it I think.

Check out this thread: Project MPG: goal 30 MPG - Powerstroke Nation
Read Dave Whitmer's posts. He is almost scientific about his mpg calculations and has done several somewhat extreme mods to his 2wd F350 Manual trans for fuel mileage gains. His fuel mileage is 27 mpg. A 4 ton excursion aint gonig to do that much less any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.