Suspension question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension question

Hi guys, I just bought a 2000 7.3l excursion w/ 133000 miles. Im not well versed in suspension issues. All I know is that this thing rides like crap. From these pictures can you tell me what i've got on this thing. Is this a body lift, leaf springs added, etc..?? I keep hearing on this forum about the need to add v springs in the front and b in the back. Also a stabilizer bar. I don't see springs/coils anywhere. Is it normal for this excursion to just have shocks all the way around without springs anywhere? Please let me know what I can do to get this thing riding smooth. By the way, I will be pulling a 20 ft toyhauler around at times.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension question-family-110.jpg   Suspension question-family-111.jpg   Suspension question-family-112.jpg   Suspension question-family-113.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's a few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension question-family-114.jpg   Suspension question-family-116.jpg   Suspension question-family-117.jpg  
Old 06-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry guys, one more thing. Under the hood it says it complies with California emmision standards. What do I need to do to get this thing less restricted. In the pic is this a stock muffler or cat? Also, is there anything besides doing a DIY air filter I can do to get more power out of this and not hurt my mpg
Old 06-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

looks like ur hitting the bup stops in the front. u hav leaf springs on all 4 corners, so u wont find a coil spring. looks like ur shocks r bottomed out also on the front. the bak has some sort of adda leaf added to it, like a over load spring.

for power u can add a programmer or flip chip, thatll add up to 100hp and 200ftlbs of torqu to it plus an extra couple of mpg.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 AM

u can also put and exhaust on it, thatll help with mpg and also a few more hp. ull need exhaust if u tow alot with a chip/programmer alot to get the EGTs bak down.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

would my ride be much improved with adding the v springs in the front? is this possible since I have leaf springs in the front? If not, what do you suggest for getting the best ride out of this? I won't be doing any offroading.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im assuming from what you see that im running a stock exhaust right now?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM

by the looks of the pics it seems the truck had a lift on it. those bump stops r not stock. they lok like they only give u like 1" of spring compression b4 they hit and stop all movement. a add-a-leaf in the front will make it ride quite a bit stiffer. if it were me and i didnt do much offroading id take the bump stops out and the add-a-leafs in the bak out.

u hav stock exhaust now by the looks of the pics.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 AM

also u might wanna get the right length shoks.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is it not possible to put v springs in? Also, I get a lot of rocking back and forth on turns, is that because the shocks are too short or because their shot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.