Headlights? Aftermarket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlights? Aftermarket

Anyone running the projector headlights with the seperate high beam bulb? I am thinking of getting them for the fact there only $160 and it has two H1 bulbs per headlight, so I can throw some hid's in there. I have the bi-xenon hid's in the truck but when you flip on highbeam it only moves the angle of the beam doesn't really make it brighter so I wanted a seperate bulb.

Plus projectors are the new wave of lighting, seems like all the new high end cars swear by them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

I have not run any on my f250, but have run them on a lot of my previous cars/trucks. They are cheaper..and for good reason. They are lesser quality than oem lights. The lens is more prone to pitting/yellowing, the seals arent as good and in my experience they get moisture in them when using a pressure washer. Also you have to be careful when putting hid into the projectors. The hid bulbs are usually a bit longer than normal bulbs and can sometimes touch and melt the front of the projector. Also the smaller area and more heat from hid can also lead to melting issues.

Also it is just my opinion but these new style of lights just dont look right on the older trucks. I see way too many chevys/dodges with them and they just look silly to me.

Are the hid not bright enough for you? I have the bi-xenon 55w 6k in my heads and fogs and they throw more than enough light. They are so bright I constantly get flashed..cant even run fogs around the city. Even have had cops stop me about my lights.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Understand that, but I have an 07 ram with the bi-xenon hid's and yes it's enough lighting but I do need highbeams otherwise my lights would be in everyones face, I travel at night, now with my excursion I like the projectors because they focus the beam and draw a clean line, so I can raise the light a little higher, and still have high beams if needed.

I do think they look silly but I found a set with black housing that look good, I am concerned with the quality issue but they do have a warranty, they say they can be used with hid's, still contemplating the idea, if I could find oem projectors I would be all for it
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am in the same boat as you. These are the ones I was looking at because they are less "ricey" looking. The part I cant figure out is what each of the 3 lights are for. I am assuming the projector is for low beam, one of the reflectors is high beam, but what is the third? These come in black as well.

1999-2002 2003 2004 FORD F250 F350 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS on eBay.ca (item 380221750241 end time 04-May-10 21:07:38 EDT)
Old 04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually, after looking at a black one from a different supplier, it almost looks like there are 2 projectors....one for fog maybe?

2002 2003 2004 FORD F350 SUPERDUTY PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS on eBay.ca (item 360250577680 end time 07-May-10 02:32:13 EDT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_rigden View Post
I am in the same boat as you. These are the ones I was looking at because they are less "ricey" looking. The part I cant figure out is what each of the 3 lights are for. I am assuming the projector is for low beam, one of the reflectors is high beam, but what is the third? These come in black as well.

1999-2002 2003 2004 FORD F250 F350 PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS on eBay.ca (item 380221750241 end time 04-May-10 21:07:38 EDT)
Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 PM

The middle light is low beam the corner light is highbeam and the little ocular is an extra parking light, not a true projector light though

a true projector light uses a half sphere glass ocular like a magnifying glass and on the bottom of the inside there is a metal plate covering half the flat on the sphere, when the light emitts through the sphereical part is gets reversed so you will see a sharp cut off and line on the top of the light and there under it glows normally, using a projector light with an hid setup is the only REAL legal way to run HID's, by doing that you are keeping the beam of light focused on the road and you don't have scattering light blinding everyone else
Old 04-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Also the glass part is about the size of a plum, maybe the size of a racket ball, just cut in half so you have a flat side
Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just want to make sure I am following....the low beam is a true projector in this one, but the parking light is not? I was thinking of putting bi-xenon HIDs in the stock housings, but I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for oncoming traffic with the camper on... have you ever looked at an upgraded wiring harness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicross View Post
The middle light is low beam the corner light is highbeam and the little ocular is an extra parking light, not a true projector light though

a true projector light uses a half sphere glass ocular like a magnifying glass and on the bottom of the inside there is a metal plate covering half the flat on the sphere, when the light emitts through the sphereical part is gets reversed so you will see a sharp cut off and line on the top of the light and there under it glows normally, using a projector light with an hid setup is the only REAL legal way to run HID's, by doing that you are keeping the beam of light focused on the road and you don't have scattering light blinding everyone else

Last edited by philip_rigden; 04-20-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM

The ones in that picture aren't really projectors at all, it's still just a reflector behind the light bulb, a projector will have the glass ball infront of the light bulb, let me see if I can find a link to a projector headlight assembly
Old 04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

04 05 Excursion Halo Projector Headlights BLK 2004 2005 : eBay Motors (item 280471146385 end time Apr-27-10 18:43:35 PDT)

see if that link works, those are the ones I'm looking into buying, more for function then looks, see the corners of the light the small round part that looks like a magnifying glass, that's the low beam projector, the inside reflector is for the high beam, and at the bottom that's the parking light turn signal reflector

if you want to run HID's and you tow stuff at night like I do and you don't want to piss the truckers off I would get projectors.

I have HID bi-xenons in my 07 ram in the stock headlight housing and I get **** from truckers all the time about it, and people constantly flashing me because they think my brights are on, believe me it's not fun being on pitch black highway and having hid's in your face, you loose track of the lane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.