Plastic end tanks or all aluminum radiator? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plastic end tanks or all aluminum radiator?

Since my radiator decided to crap out during our trip to FL, I now have to replace it as soon as possible. I am thinking of going with an all aluminum radiator instead of OEM. The only thing I can see as an advantage of the OEM with the plastic end tanks, is that the tanks can act as a fuse for too much pressure in the cooling system.

Is there ANY advantage to plastic end tanks besides saving maybe a few ounces of weight?

Thanks,

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Lol no go with the aluminum radiator, your overflow tank is what compensates for to much pressure
Old 04-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Assuming the cap is working properly then yes, you are correct. I think I'm going to stick with OEM, the 'made in Taiwan' all aluminum radiator from performanceradiator.com is spooking me.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Oh, well don't let the tiawan thing spook you, go look around under the hood of the truck and you will be surprised where most of those parts on there come from, it's an American assembled vehicle but alot of the parts are from out of the country
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

I would go aluminum too. If mine tanks, i'm going to aluminum
Old 04-09-2010, 01:17 PM

Also the aluminum dissipates heat alot faster then oem and it's stronger then the material used in the oem radiator, I always use aluminum radiators in everything I have
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I ordered it. I'll post back with pics (if I can remember). Just hope doesn't leak.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin6 View Post
Well I ordered it. I'll post back with pics (if I can remember). Just hope doesn't leak.
Pictures??? Does it work any better or what?? How was the install??? Details, Details, Details!! Im thinking about doing this also!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

1st one came in smashed, and a replacement was sent. The end tanks were pressed aluminum instead of plastic and attached the same as the plastic end tanks (epoxied and crimped). In the meantime, while waiting for UPS to pick up the bad one, I noticed the core was about 1" too small. I called about this discrepancy and they claimed it was a "high performance" core. I called BS and told them to pick the replacement up also. So that took some time to get my $$ back.

I then ordered one from radiatorexpress.com, this was a Silla radiator with a better warranty. This one came in, and also was smashed. The end tanks were actually TIG welded, and also TIG welded to the core. I did notice a bit of a restriction in the top hose connection. The rad. looked like a nice piece minus the noted restriction. I called to get a replacement which was a MAJOR hassle as they will NOT talk to on the phone for a replacement, you have to use their 'live support' on their webpage. After much hassle I got them to send a call tag for this one, and proceeded to order another one, but also asked them to remove it from the package, check it, and then repack with more packaging material. I got an email a few hours later stating that while checking out the radiator like requested, they discovered a whole batch of bad radiators (I am assuming they are all smashed like the one I received). The refund took 3-4 weeks for this one.

I was tired of screwing around and ordered a replacement with plastic end tanks from Advance Auto. This came in to the store in 1 day, and the radiator was actually packed correctly, with foam on the ends also. There was not a mark on it. They also gave me a discount as they were having a 'buy XX amount, get XX% off" sale.

I recommend staying away from these all aluminum versions, buy locally, and save yourself the headaches. The stock one with the plastic end tanks lasted this long, this one should last also.

Last edited by Screamin6; 06-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.