New Guy, 2000 Excursion, questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy, 2000 Excursion, questions

Hello everyone,

I have been on this powerstroke forum for some time now, great site!
I had a 06 F250 6.0 Amarillo and sold it last week.

3 days ago I purchased a 2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L with 215,000 miles on it.

So far I have:
About 15 hours cleaning the interior, it was a little dirty
Put on a new belt
Changed Air, Fuel and Oil Filter, plus new oil
4 Monroe Reflex shocks
I have purchase Royal Purple fluids for the front and rear diff's, thats next

I checked the brakes, they are half worn.

The front end feels a little loose, I think new ball joints are in order (I have been researching on here for the best direction.)

I plan on using my SCT 3015 tuner from my F250 on the EX for gas mileage.

Issues so far:
Rear Driver window will not work?
Door Ajar light stays on (I have oiled all latches several times)?
Passenger mirror is busted ( I plan on replacing it or buying a pair of tow mirror similar to the 06' F250 if I can find a pair)?
Rear view mirror glass is cracked?
Hood insulation is busted up (Previous owner had the belt break)?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I will post pics as soon as I get it cleaned up & everything fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well on the window issue pull the panel and run a test at the motor for power when u hit the switch, if nothing there u go, if you got juice at the connector then the motor is dead. The front end feeling loose I had the sane problem, replace all 4 ball joints, check tie rods, and adjusters make sure it's not all rusted like mine was and get an alignment, also adjust the steering gear box thingy on the top, made a HUGE difference on mine. By doing all this your going to find yourself fighting the wheel because this thing is a battleship, the springs are way to soft for a vehicle on the verge of 9,000 lbs, make sure your tires are E load rated and filled to 70 psi. I just ordered add-a-leafs all around for my X to raise it 2"s and stiffen the springs, also ordered a hellwig 1.25" rear sway bar, I'll post on here how it feels after I put it on
Old 03-20-2010, 01:57 AM

Btw get straight exhaust 4", I just finished installing mine and it has better response and sounds like a train at idle
Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicross View Post
Well on the window issue pull the panel and run a test at the motor for power when u hit the switch, if nothing there u go, if you got juice at the connector then the motor is dead. The front end feeling loose I had the sane problem, replace all 4 ball joints, check tie rods, and adjusters make sure it's not all rusted like mine was and get an alignment, also adjust the steering gear box thingy on the top, made a HUGE difference on mine. By doing all this your going to find yourself fighting the wheel because this thing is a battleship, the springs are way to soft for a vehicle on the verge of 9,000 lbs, make sure your tires are E load rated and filled to 70 psi. I just ordered add-a-leafs all around for my X to raise it 2"s and stiffen the springs, also ordered a hellwig 1.25" rear sway bar, I'll post on here how it feels after I put it on
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful. I am going to pull the door panel off and check that today or tomorrow.

What are the best brand of ball joints to use?

Once I get all of the mechanical issue out of the way, I will probably go with a sway bar.

What brand exhaust did you go with?
Would it help if I deleted the muffler on the stock setup?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:42 PM

Ball joints don't go cheap unless your mechanically inclined and have the tools, moog is a good brand but I went with a cheap set that is lifetime warranty, my exhaust I ordered from RollinSmokeDiesel.com best customer service you will get anywhere and great prices, I paid $270 for my 4" turbo back straight pipe, deleting the muffler does help but I would just change the whole thing, for the bigger diameter and new pipe, mine was pretty rusted at 204k miles
Old 03-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i bought "Moog" they are doing pretty good so far. get upper and lower for best results!!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicross View Post
Ball joints don't go cheap unless your mechanically inclined and have the tools, moog is a good brand but I went with a cheap set that is lifetime warranty, my exhaust I ordered from RollinSmokeDiesel.com best customer service you will get anywhere and great prices, I paid $270 for my 4" turbo back straight pipe, deleting the muffler does help but I would just change the whole thing, for the bigger diameter and new pipe, mine was pretty rusted at 204k miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob03svt06 View Post
i bought "Moog" they are doing pretty good so far. get upper and lower for best results!!
I am pretty mechanically inclined & have a buffet of tools, I have done belts, brakes, shocks, rear ends, etc. I was told to rent a ball joint puller @ a local auto store & it would save some time & profanity, lol.

I have heard & read good things about Moog, whats the price for the upper and lowers? Are they something I could get locally or something I would have to order online?

I check my exhaust & it seem to been in good shape, I don't think it is the stock exhaust. What size in stock?

Thanks for your all help.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to thesmokinstroke02
stock is 3.5". sounds like you have an ex that needs a little tlc. its nice to see people putting work into getting IMO the best suvs made back on the road and lookin nice
Old 03-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree, I love the EX and also believe it is the best looking SUV out there.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3Z View Post
I am pretty mechanically inclined & have a buffet of tools, I have done belts, brakes, shocks, rear ends, etc. I was told to rent a ball joint puller @ a local auto store & it would save some time & profanity, lol.

I have heard & read good things about Moog, whats the price for the upper and lowers? Are they something I could get locally or something I would have to order online?

I check my exhaust & it seem to been in good shape, I don't think it is the stock exhaust. What size in stock?

Thanks for your all help.
Dont remember the exact amount i paid for them, but you can get them local, bought mine at Advance Auto Parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.