what is a realistic fuel economy on a stock 7.3 excursion? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
99-03 Ford Excursion Forum This forum is for topics relating to the Ford Excursion only.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is a realistic fuel economy on a stock 7.3 excursion?

I am in the market for an excursion but before I pull the trigger I would like to know a realistic fuel economy of these 7.3 excursions when they are bone stock, no lift, stock tires, no chips

I know it depends on how you drive them so please let me know when you drive them without flooring them what is the best you have experienced?

I really appreciate you guys feedback. thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my wife had an 01, stock hwy 16-18mpg

chipped & opening up exaust, hwy 18-21mpg
Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

I've got an '01 and I hit 20mpg with cruise on highway and about 16 in town....No Bull. I bought mine for this very reason two weeks ago.
And I can't hardly tell when I'm towing my Full size Jeep. Only mods on my truck are intake and exhaust. I have Cali emmissions on my truck.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here's my data over 64 hand calculated fuel ups. My modifications are listed. The larger tires that came with my used Excursion hurts my mileage, but the 203* thermostat has helped on my 7.3's.

The X...sometimes pulling the big trailer (Ford Excursion) | Fuelly

Includes towing information, attempts at additives, etc.

Your geographic location will impact winter mileage. Can get pretty cold here in Wisconsin. That, along with lower Btu winter fuel, impacts mileage in cold months for me.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 AM

WOW SD26, that is one impressive spread sheet. thank you for sharing. those numbers are very helpful and a bit disappointing at the same time but at least it is realistic. thank you
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanman View Post
WOW SD26, that is one impressive spread sheet. thank you for sharing. those numbers are very helpful and a bit disappointing at the same time but at least it is realistic. thank you
LOL! Yeah, life sucks, eh? Yes, I nearly hit 19MPG a few times. My life time MPG includes towing a big trailer and a small trailer. Does have an impact in the overall average. As does winter in Wisconsin. 13-14MPG in the cold seems to be pretty regular for me. Definitely is in the 16-17MPG range in the summer. My regular work commute is about 24 miles, so I get good and warm. It's not interstate driving; it's rural, mostly, has about ten stop signs, and takes me 35 minutes plus to do. So, I wouldn't call my MPG highway. That kind of helps, right?

As for the spread sheet, fuelly.com is free. I just like to load it up with data. One has to read it carefully as what goes in the tank might reflect on the next MPG and my driving notes are based upon the previous data's fill.

I don't think my DP Tuner necessarily netted any kind of a real gain in MPG. I would like to go to a narrower tire, maybe a 255/85 or a stock 265/75...or maybe even a 235/85...but that's a cost that I don't want to incur right now. The big 285's look good and have a lot of tread left. Might make a simple air dam for the front. Doubt I will get a big gain on my regular commute, but maybe a little more on long trips.

What kind of MPG are you hoping for? The Excursion is heavy. I think that hurts it, but it is such a comfortable vehicle. There is a real value in having it for it's great towing ability, comfort in people hauling, and general utility. The DP Tuner makes it just that much more fun to drive also.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does anyone on here really get over 900 miles to a tanks of diesel

I really would like to see it for my self.. I am on a raid trip at the moment and filled my tank to the brim (44 gallons) so we will see I have a 7.3 4x4 and live in flat florida I will let you guys no.. Honestly I think a lot of people on these forums are not taking in account all the facts
Old 05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
Premium Starfish Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
With a cold air intake and 4inch exhaust:
Summer diesel - I get about 14 to 15mpg in the city.
On the highway - I've gotten 19mpg, but not using any A/C or Cruise.
I found that if I used the cruise - I lost 2mpg on the highway.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:32 AM

My mileage is similar to SD26's. I have MBRP 4" exhaust, AIS intake and hydra chip set on 80hp tune. I use Diesel Kleen too. I've only had the beast for a few months, about 8k+ miles. Big difference between city and highway. The excursion hates traffic but loves to cruise at 65.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You should have no issues hitting 20 highway MPGs. I get 18-19 summer 16-17 winter. Mostly highway miles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.