Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transmission Oil Pressure Switch

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Can someone recommend an oil pressure switch for installation in the transmission test port? I'm installing a temperature monitoring system (Engine Guardian), which also can throw a warning sound and light triggered by a pressure switch.

What would be a good switch trigger point (psi) for indicating low pressure in the trans?

Thanks much in advance.
Cheers
Conny

#2 · (Edited)
look at auber sensors they have some 0-5 v units

the tranny PSI at the test port can range from under a hundred to several hundred PSI depending on gear and load

i am not sure where you would set an alert ?

here is a typical range for a 5r ( i don't have a 4r handy but you get the idea)

#3 ·
Thanks for that info. We destroyed our transmission couple of weeks ago when a cooler hose came off and we didn't realize it until it was too late. Want to prevent that from happening again. From the chart you posted it seems that 50psi is the area of lowest pressure level, so a pressure switch with e.g. a 30psi trigger would indicate if the tranny lost typical operational pressure. I don't need a complete system including a gauge, etc. Just looking for a pressure switch that would short to ground at the trigger level (e.g. 30psi). That's the signal my control system will pick up and throw a sound and led alert.

Thanks
C.M.

#7 ·
since this was brought back to the top by a hijacker

i don't think the 30 psi trigger would save the day

there is a good chance you would have over that 30 psi even running low on fluid but the tranny would be damaged by less than the needed line pressure

#4 ·
Which transmission would a 2000 Excursion 4x4 excursion have?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.