Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 ford Excursion (edge programer)

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Chris_K. 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

New to ford site, I have a 7.3 ford X 4x4, want to put a programmer (Edge) 240,000 miles looking for pros and cons.

#2 ·
pros: power

cons: say good by to your transmission and around $3-5k of your hard earned money.

order a ts 6 position chip or a php hydra programmer from corey from cncfabrication on the forums. He'll set you up with customized tunes for your trucks mods, driving style and preference and you wont need to worry about your trans every time you drive.

I would recommend an edge insight monitor though... esp for egts and trans temp.

edge makes good power but its claims of tuning the transmission were well over proven incorrect. You'll notice they never have an edgeproducts rep trying to counter these post and that should tell you something.

#3 ·
Yup ^^ what he said :)

#4 ·
I believe the excursion can NOT run the ts6 chip due to pats. Maybe @Corey@CNCFAB can confirm

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
#5 ·
Exactly what they said. ^^^^

The TS chip can be ran on the Excursions with PATS, but you will get the security light flashing on your dash all the time. The PHP Hydra is PATS friendly and has the option to enable or disable it.

Just dont be led onto the cheap TS chips online that come with crappy canned tunes. Its quite normal for those that buy them to have harsh trans shifting. Here's a couple links below to what I would recommend and the Hydra is by far the better choice. But both come with PHP tuning.

CNC Fabrication LLC, Diesel Performance, PHP HYDRA 17 POSITION CHIP

CNC Fabrication LLC, Diesel Performance, PHP STOCK TUNED TS-PERFORMANCE 6 POS SWITCH 7.3L TS-PHP-7.3STK

Feel free to email through the site or PM me on here if you have any other questions.

#7 · (Edited)
I would ditch the trans command. If you don't want to, run the tunes for the modified valve body. Should soften up the shift some.

#8 ·
Ya, I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do. I have tried the modified tunes but they seem like they shift way to soft, and for some reason produce a ton of smoke. It shifts perfect as long as i have a load.... Just an interesting difference. I think i'm going to try to pull the trans command and see what it changes. Need that bypass plug

#10 ·
I'll put in another good word for the Hydra Chip. I first tried the ts and wasn't all that happy with it, the Hydra canned tunes run cleaner and cooler. Plus there's plenty of choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Corey@CNCFAB
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.